All Apps and Add-ons

Importing collectd csv data for consumption by Splunk_TA_linux (3412)

DUThibault
Contributor

I’m trying to use the Splunk_TA_linux app (3412) with an old system (CentOS 5 vintage) as the target. Getting collectd to send its observations to Splunk is problematic (the collectd version is too old and I’m limited as to what I can change on the target), so I’ve been forced to set up collectd to merely dump its data locally in csv format, and I intend to have the Universal Forwarder monitor the data dump directory. The problem is in converting the event formats into what Splunk_TA_linux expects, namely event types such as linux_collectd_cpu , linux_collectd_memory, and so forth. I think I need to define a bunch of new sourcetypes, which will manipulate the events to transform them into the various event types expected. The forwarder is limited to INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS, but that should be enough.

Collectd has been configured to monitor several system metrics, and uses its csv plugin for output. The csv files go in the /var/collectd/csv folder. Collectd then creates a single subfolder, named using <hostname> (in this case, sv3vm5b.etv.lab ). There are then a bunch of subfolders for the various metrics: cpu-0, cpu-1, cpu-2, cpu-3, df, disk-vda, disk-vda1, disk-vda2, interface, irq, load, memory, processes, processes-all, swap, tcp-conns-22-local, tcp-conns-111-local, tcp-conns-698-local, tcp-conns-2207-local, tcp-conns-2208-local, tcp-conns-8089-local, uptime . The cpu-* folders are tracking several cpu metrics ( idle, interrupt, nice, softirq, steal, system, user, wait ). The first metric (CPU idle time) generates daily files, e.g. cpu-idle-2017-12-12, cpu-idle-2017-12-13 , etc. This pattern is the same for each metric. The contents of cpu-idle-<date> are:

epoch,value

Again, this pattern is the same for the other files: a header line listing the fields (although the names are pretty generic), then regular measurements consisting of a Unix timestamp followed by one to three integer or floating-point values. What the collectd input plugins measure is documented on the collectd wiki.

In collectd JSON or Graphite mode, the Splunk source type is linux:collectd:http:json or linux:collectd:graphite , the event type is linux_collectd_cpu and the data model is "ITSI OS Model Performance.CPU". Splunk_TA_linux's eventtypes.conf
ties linux_collectd_cpu to the two source types, so this gives rise to a first question: Will Splunk_TA_linux's eventtypes.conf need tweaking?

Assuming I set the forwarder to monitoring /var/collectd/csv/*/cpu-*/cpu-idle-* (can I specify paths using jokers like that?), I could then set the source type for those daily files as a custom type. The process would be repeated for the various other collectd files and folders, resulting in a slew of custom source types.

source type: collectd_csv_cpu_idle
dest app: Search & Reporting (should this be Splunk_TA_linux ?)
category: Metrics
indexed extractions: csv
timestamp: auto (this will recognise a Unix timestamp, right?)
field delimiter: comma
quote character: double quote (unused)
File preamble: ^epoch,value$
Field names: custom

…and that’s where I’m stumped. This expects a comma-separated list of field names. Is the first one _time or is that assumed? The “ITSI OS Model Performance.CPU” documentation has no fields for the jiffy counts ( cpu-idle, -interrupt, -nice, -softirq, -steal, -system, -user, -wait are reporting the number of jiffies spent in each of the possible CPU states, respectively idle, IRQ, nice, softIRQ, steal, system, user, wait-IO ) but does have cpu_time and cpu_user_percent fields. Isn’t there supposed to be a correspondence? Is Splunk_TA_linux further transforming the collectd inputs to fit them to the data models, so that I need more than just INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS ? And what about those fields that can only be extracted from the source paths, like the host ( sv3vm5b.etv.lab ) and number of CPUs, for instance?

0 Karma
1 Solution

DUThibault
Contributor

I consider this solved now. I use the csv plugin to write the metrics to a local directory (cleaned by weekly cron job that deletes older files), and i have a Splunk Universal Forwarder massage the events into the linux:collectd:graphite format before sending them to the indexer/search head as such. Contact me for the details.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

I consider this solved now. I use the csv plugin to write the metrics to a local directory (cleaned by weekly cron job that deletes older files), and i have a Splunk Universal Forwarder massage the events into the linux:collectd:graphite format before sending them to the indexer/search head as such. Contact me for the details.

0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

Trying a different tack. I saw with https://answers.splunk.com/answers/593409/transformsconf-wont-let-me-change-the-sourcetype.html that I can change the sourcetype of events, so I figured I would use the csv source (e.g. .../cpu-*/cpu-nice-* ), transform its _raw data into linux:collectd:graphite format, and switch its sourcetype from collectd_csv_cpu_nice to linux:collectd:graphite

But it seems I failed, as the Splunk instance continues to receive just collectd_csv_cpu_nice data in the untransformed format.

To be clear, the csv files have lines like this:

<unix_timestamp>,<cpu_nice_jiffies>

whereas linux:collectd:graphite has lines like this:

<host>.cpu-<cpu>.cpu-idle.value <cpu_nice_jiffies> <unix_timestamp>

(Actually it expects percentages in floating point, but my old system (collectd 4.10) cannot supply that, only integer jiffy counts. I'm sure Splunk_TA_linux won't mind...much.)

So I added to props.conf and transform.conf on the Splunk instance and on the Forwarder:

props.conf

[collectd_csv_cpu_nice]
DATETIME_CONFIG =
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER = 1
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = csv
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TIME_FORMAT = %s
category = Metrics
description = collectd CSV cpu-nice metric
disabled = false
pulldown_type = 1
REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NUMBER = TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NUMBER
REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE = REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE
REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE-PAYLOAD = TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE-PAYLOAD
REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE-SOURCETYPE = TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE-SOURCETYPE

transforms.conf

&num; Extracts the CPU number from the source's enclosing directory name
[TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NUMBER]
FORMAT = cpu::$1
REGEX = ^.*/cpu-([0-9]+)/
SOURCE_KEY = source

&num; Overall input format
[REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = "unix_timestamp","cpu_nice_jiffies"

&num; Rewrites the _raw line to conform to linux:collectd:graphite format
[TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE-PAYLOAD]
REGEX = (.*?)
FORMAT = _raw::$host.cpu-$cpu.cpu-idle.value $cpu_nice_jiffies $unix_timestamp

&num; Changes the sourcetype to linux:collectd:graphite
[TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE-SOURCETYPE]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX = (.*?)
FORMAT = sourcetype::linux:collectd:graphite

I probably wrote the TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NICE-PAYLOAD FORMAT line all wrong. Help?

0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

See https://answers.splunk.com/answers/615924/ for the rest of the solution. At this point I can get the collectd csv data into Splunk as sourcetype linux:collectd:graphite; my remaining problems have to do with collectd itself.

0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

Some progress.

source type: collectd_csv_cpu_idle
dest app: Search & Reporting
category: Custom (would Metrics be better?)
indexed extractions: csv
timestamp:
extraction: Advanced
time zone: auto
timestamp format: %s
timestamp fields: (blank)
Delimited settings:
field delimiter: comma
quote character: double quote (unused)
File preamble: (blank)
Field names: Line...
Field names on line number: 1
Advanced:
SHOULD_LINEMERGE: false (was true by default but since csv and collectd_http use false this makes more sense)

Then defined some extractions and transformations.

REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-IDLE transformation
type: delimiter-based
delimiters: ","
field list: "unix_timestamp","cpu_idle_jiffies"
source key: _raw

TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NUMBER transformation
type: regex-based
regular expression: ^.*/cpu-([0-9]+)/
format: cpu::$1
source key: source

collectd_csv_cpu_idle : REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-IDLE extraction
extraction/transform: REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-IDLE

collectd_csv_cpu_idle : REPORT-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NUMBER extraction
extraction/transform: TRANSFORM-COLLECTD-CSV-CPU-NUMBER

The collectd file header was still getting through, so based on answer 586952 I've tried copying the Splunk instance's /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local/props.conf and transforms.conf to the universal forwarder's /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/_server_app_<server class>/local/ Since collectd generates new files every day, we'll know tomorrow if this has gotten rid of the headers being read as data (event _raw string "epoch,value"). I can readily extend this pattern of sourcetypes, transformations and extractions to map the rest of the collectd data ( df , interface , irq and so on).

Now the problem is how to map this into the CIM. According to http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/Linux/Configure2 for instance, the Splunk Add-on for Linux expects the sourcetype linux:collectd:http:json but this does not appear in my list of sourcetypes, so I can't even inspect it to know what's in it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...