All Apps and Add-ons

I can not find "WinEventLog:Security" on the source type selection screen when uploading data.

Builder

I can not find "WinEventLog:Security" on the source type selection screen when uploading data.
And I can't find it in sourcetype list screen too.

However, the logs have a definite source type definition.

Is this a specification?
Also, if I want to display it on these screens,
Do I need to explicitly create a stanza in props.conf?

I hope someone can tell me.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Influencer

Hey

The reason is that Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows is a TA and contains mainly what needs to be installed in the Indexer to properly break events and do other index time operations.

Having that in mind, it appears that WinEventLog:Security is a sourcetype that only needs search time extractions as you can see in the app https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1680/.

The Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure yes needs to be installed on the Search Head and actually does those search time extractions, and therefore will get you the sourcetype WinEventLog:Security as an option for uploading data.

To summarize: install Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure in the machine you want to have an option to choose WinEventLog:Security

Let me know if it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Influencer

Hey

The reason is that Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows is a TA and contains mainly what needs to be installed in the Indexer to properly break events and do other index time operations.

Having that in mind, it appears that WinEventLog:Security is a sourcetype that only needs search time extractions as you can see in the app https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1680/.

The Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure yes needs to be installed on the Search Head and actually does those search time extractions, and therefore will get you the sourcetype WinEventLog:Security as an option for uploading data.

To summarize: install Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure in the machine you want to have an option to choose WinEventLog:Security

Let me know if it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Builder

Thank you for answer!

You means that sourcetype WinEventLog:Security is defined as just field sourcetype in index-time if I installed only Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows.

Also if I want add search-time settings to sourcetype WinEventLog:Security, I have to install The Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure right?

0 Karma

Influencer

Yes that is correct, it is the safer procedure indeed.

Please accept the answer and upvote if it helped solve your issue

0 Karma