All Apps and Add-ons

How to use Timewrap to create comparative graph or line charts showing transaction totals?

apalen
Path Finder

Hey Splunkers,

Last week i asked http://answers.splunk.com/answers/142779/creating-comparative-graphs
I was referred to use timewrap. now that i have this setup, i am struggling with getting the results to show. below is my current search i am using, i posted some return results further below. The problem is this isn't producing visuals in splunk. I am unsure why that is now, my goal here is:

"I want to create a graph or line chart that will show transaction total on a day vs day, week vs week, month vs month, quarter vs quarter."

This particular search i am trying to compare the same hour of each day over the last week.

index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* earliest =-7@d date_hour=9| rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?\d+)" | search settlement="*" | eval settlement = "$" . (settlement / 100) | timechart count span=1h |timewrap w | where strftime(_time, "%H") == "9"

Event returns:

2014-07-01 09:45:36,884 INFO [ aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettlementTotal(): 0

2014-07-01 09:45:36,883 INFO [foo aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettleNowTotal(): 3200

2014-07-01 09:45:32,729 INFO [foo aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettleNowTotal(): 3200

2014-07-01 09:45:32,688 INFO [foo aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettleNowTotal(): 3200

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Don't you want ... | timechart sum(settlement) span=1h | ... ?

I think you should take it a step at a time. Get yourself hourly sums over the past week or 8 days first. This may be:

index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* | 
rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?d+)" | 
search settlement="*" | 
timechart sum(settlement) span=1h

Then once you have that right the ... | timewrap w | ... should work fine. Don't worry about the formatting until you get that working, because you can always use something like ...| fieldformat settlement="$" + tostring(settlement, "commas") ... to reformat the output afterwards.

So, untested and will probably will cause errors (but only minor ones - it shouldn't cause errors involving dogs and cats living together!), but ...

index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* | 
rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?d+)" | 
search settlement="*" | 
timechart sum(settlement) span=1h |
timewrap w |
where strftime(_time, "%A") == "Thursday" |
fieldformat settlement="$" + tostring(settlement, "commas")

Your mileages may vary, but maybe this will get you pointed in the right direction.

0 Karma

apalen
Path Finder

I still havent quite figured it out but i can get and hourly comparison on a week vs week now.

query:
index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* | rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?\d+)" | search settlement="*" | eval settlement = "$" . (settlement / 100)| timechart count span=1h
| timewrap w
| where strftime(_time, "%A") == "Thursday"

0 Karma

HattrickNZ
Motivator

in your original search should you not change this earliest =-7@d to earliest =-7d@d

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...