All Apps and Add-ons

How to understand actual license volume for index

evelenke
Contributor

Hi Splunkers,

generally we use the approach to calculate license use for index by quering:
index="_internal" source="*metrics.log" group="per_index_thruput" series=myindex host=myindexer*
| stats sum(kb) as mb
| eval mb=mb/1024
But when we calculate it like a real raw size with
index=myindex
| eval mb=len(_raw)
| stats sum(mb) as mb
| eval mb=mb/1024/1024

we may have big difference, for example for one of indexes it is 4 Gb against 180mb!
Why is it so, please explain

0 Karma
1 Solution

evelenke
Contributor

HI,

sorry, I've figured out the problem - the reason of this is that at that day many of events for previous period was added to audit.
How should I handle this question correctly?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

HI,

sorry, I've figured out the problem - the reason of this is that at that day many of events for previous period was added to audit.
How should I handle this question correctly?

0 Karma

mdsnmss
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can just mark your response here as the answer. That way the question will be marked as resolved and answered.

0 Karma

mdsnmss
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you narrowed your license usage down to a single index in _internal? You have a single index search for real raw but the other search provided gives info for all indexes.

index="_internal" source="*metrics.log" group="per_index_thruput" series="myindex" 
| eval mb=kb/1024 
| stats sum(mb) as mb

index=myindex 
| eval b=len(_raw) 
| stats sum(mb) as mb 
| eval mb=b/1024/1024

Is it the _internal or the raw search that shows as the higher number? You also want to look at conversion. Len will give you bytes vs. the _internal data that provides it in kb.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...