All Apps and Add-ons

How to troubleshoot the setting screen in Splunk for Unix app? Stuck on "loading"

twinspop
Influencer

I'm finally giving up on my home built, mediocre performance dashboards and reports, and moving on to the official Splunk for Unix app. Awesome! I can't wait. But wait i must cuz the settings screen is stuck.

I go to Settings -> Categories. I create a new category, double-click it to change the name, and click in whitespace to save it per the instrux. Then I add a group doing the same thing. Now when i click on the new group ("test1"), the "hosts in test1" column is empty as expected. The "hosts not in test1" column says "loading" ... forever. I've tried Safari and Chrome. With ad blockers dropped. In/out of incognito mode.

Splunk for Unix app: 5.0.3 (latest I think)
Search Head: 6.2.4 (single)
indexers: 6.2.4 (just search peers, not clustered)
Splunk TA UNIX: 5.2.0

The other panels work as far as I can tell, but I need the category and group feature.

0 Karma
1 Solution

twinspop
Influencer

Lesson of the day: Be sure the supporting apps are up to date. In this case, SA_nix was an older version. I removed it, cleanly installed it from the install dir included with the Splunk for UNIX and Linux app... everything works.

View solution in original post

lbur
Explorer

We recently had this same problem on version 5.2.4.
We solved it by copying default/macros.conf to local/macros.conf and modified the following stanza:

[metadata_index]

CHANGED FROM index=* to index=os

definition = index=os

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

Lesson of the day: Be sure the supporting apps are up to date. In this case, SA_nix was an older version. I removed it, cleanly installed it from the install dir included with the Splunk for UNIX and Linux app... everything works.

twinspop
Influencer

Checking the JS Console in chrome, I see: Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) on URL http://tlmcpdlog.es.ad.adp.com/en-US/custom/splunk_app_for_nix/unixsetup/SA-nix/get_hosts Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error). Digging further

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

Error in internal: 2015-10-23 20:10:55,315 DEBUG [562acc8f0a7f3f40e654d0] _cplogging:55 - [23/Oct/2015:20:10:55] HTTP Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 606, in respond
cherrypy.response.body = self.handler()
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cherrypy/_cpdispatch.py", line 25, in __call
_
return self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/routes.py", line 366, in default
return route.target(self, **kw)
File "", line 1, in
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/decorators.py", line 38, in rundecs
return fn(*a, **kw)
File "", line 1, in
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/decorators.py", line 122, in check
return fn(self, *a, **kw)
File "", line 1, in
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/decorators.py", line 171, in validate_ip
File "", line 1, in
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/decorators.py", line 339, in preform_sso_check
File "", line 1, in
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/decorators.py", line 391, in check_login
File "", line 1, in
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/decorators.py", line 411, in handle_exceptions
File "", line 291, in get_hosts
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/search/init.py", line 302, in dispatch
raise splunk.SearchException, msg['text']
SearchException: metadata_index

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...