All Apps and Add-ons

How to stop db connect after the server of the recipient of the forwarded events is unavailable?

chelnosl

We have a single server Splunk enterprise № 1, which receives data from the database using DB connect. We have another server Splunk enterprise № 2. Server Splunk № 1 sends events to Splunk № 2 using forwarding. When server № 2 becomes unavailable, events from DB connect cease to arrive at the server Splunk №1. After resuming the availability of the server number 2, everything is restored.
How to make independent server № 1 and server № 2?

0 Karma

ivanreis
Builder

Per my knowledge db connect is not built to work in high availability environment, this mean that if you deploy the db connect to different serves and keep the both of them enabled, the data will be indexed twice.
I did a solution to customer where the db connect was deployed in two separate heavy forwarder, but one of them remain disabled, so when the main heavy forwarder is down for any reason, the db connect on the stand by heavy forwarder have to be enabled manually and splunk service has to be restarted in order to continue indexing the data. The trick part here is you have to keep the both app update with the configuration. As the data is critical to the business I did not implement any automation to avoid the particular app to be enable by mistake and indexed the data twice. At the moment I don't have any other solution to share, I hope this helps you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...