All Apps and Add-ons

How to make a CIM compliant data in Splunk ES?

AL3Z
Builder

Hi, 

I have a existing dlp data model, Can we add the indexed dlp data to exisiting one to make a cim compliant OR
we need to create a new datamodel  to add the data ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

I want to check the netscope addon in props.conf and transforms.conf all the respective fields are available in the logs or not so that I can map them. But i am on splunk cloud how do I look for the app props and transform conf files from GUI ?
Thanks..

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AL3Z,

you can install in Splunk Cloud (or in your on-premise test instance) one of this apps:

SA-cim_vladiator (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2968) I used it many times!

CIM_Buddy (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/6259) I used sometimes.

CIM Toolkit for Splunk Supporting Common Information Model Add-on (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/6243) I neved used it, but I'll try it.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

Hi,
@gcusello 
@richgalloway 
Even after dlp data is added to the dlp datamodel, I didnt see any dlp incidents in the datamodel, what could be the problem here ?

AL3Z_0-1682424980109.png

Thanks

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

in the screenshot you shared there's the Data Model's structure, you don't see any data.

To see Data Model data you have to use it in a search

| datamodel DLP_Incidents

If you haven't data, run the constraints search to see id you have correctly tagged data.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

In fact this is the correct search

| datamodel DLP DLP_Incidents

I can see only the 1 event no fields 😞

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One event is a start.  It means the event is tagged correctly.

The next step is install one or more TAs to extract fields from the data.  Then ensure the data uses CIM field (if the TAs do not do that for you).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

AL3Z
Builder

@richgalloway 
Could you please guide me how we could  install one or more TAs to extract fields from the data.  ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Search splunkbase (apps.splunk.com) for a TA/add-on that is pertinent to your data.  Follow the instructions there to install the TA.

For general instructions about installing add-ons, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/Overview/Installingadd-ons

---
0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

@richgalloway 

We already have a netskope addon for our data.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you still aren't getting fields extracted from your data then either you have the wrong TA or you need an additional TA.  You may need to create your own TA if one does not exist in splunkbase.

Have you confirmed the sourcetype in your inputs.conf file matches the sourcetype in props.conf (in a TA or created by you) and also matches the sourcetype expected by the apps you are using?

---
0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

We are using the splunk cloud we don't have access to the inputs and props conf

Could you please clarify  me TA is same as add-on right?

And one more thing i can Tstats to some fields of the datamodel inspite of getting one event when I search DLP datamodel.

Thanks 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk Cloud users do not have file system access, but they still have access to config files through the apps they install.  They also can use REST calls and the GUI to examine many settings.

Yes, "TA" and "add-on" mean the same thing.  A TA is a Technical Add-on and is a term used to describe an app that help onboard data, typically by extracting fields.

I'm not even going to try to read those tiny screenshots.  If the tstats command can find fields then they must be extracted.  Try searching in Verbose Mode to see if they show up in your other searches.

---

AL3Z
Builder

Where do we get to see the rest calls and gui settings in the splunk cloud and using stats i cant see some fields of the DM.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Go to Settings->Source types and select your sourcetype.  Click on the Advanced tab and you'll see the props.conf settings for that sourcetype.

To see them using REST, try this 

| rest /services/configs/conf-props | search eai:acl.app=<<your app>>
---

AL3Z
Builder

How we can edit these props if need changes? Do we have feasibility in splunk cloud ?

Thanks

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AL3Z,

yes, you have it also in Splunk Cloud at [Settings > Sourcetypes].

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

Using this search I can see all the fields, In this dm there is no incident_id field, how we need to get in this dm, do we need to write regex for that if yes where we need to mention the regex in ?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AL3Z,

if a field isn't present in the Data Model, you can customize it adding the field and rebuilding the DM.

About how to extract the field, it depends on the field itself and how you extract it in a normal search (regex, calculated field, alias etc...).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

AL3Z
Builder

@gcusello ,

If I tstats the dm it is showing  an Error in 'DataModelEvaluator': Data model 'DLP_Incidents' was not found.
what we need to do on this ?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AL3Z,

sorry, I always have problems to identify the Data Model name, please try this:

| datamodel DLP  DLP_Incidents

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...