All Apps and Add-ons

How to know/measure if a model is learning?

komnina

Hi there!

I'm a newbie in machine learning world and I have a doubt.

After training and deploying a model, how to know if it is learning? Or, how to teach it?

Is this an automatic process for each use?

0 Karma

aoliner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi komnina,

The 'fit' command trains or updates a model; this is the 'learning' step in machine learning. The 'apply' command uses a trained model to make predictions. The model doesn't learn anything new when you apply it. You can fit the model on a schedule, using a saved search, if you'd like it to continue learning from new data, but you should validate that it's learning what you want it to.

The Splunk Machine Learning Toolkit has guided modeling dashboards called 'assistants' that walk you through the process of fitting, validating, and deploying a model (including re-training on a schedule).

Hope that helps!

0 Karma

komnina

Hi friend!

Thanks for your response.

So the 'machine' learn from several re-trainings (schedule), is this?

Can I use 'assistents' (like 'Predict Numeric Fields' and your statistics) to evaluate whether the model improved from a training to another? i.e. comparing statistics of re-trainings. Is it a good way?

kind regards.

0 Karma

aoliner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Correct: the machine "learns" by training or updating a model. You can do each of those either manually or on a schedule.

The assistants have a "Load Existing Settings" tab, which will show you the previous models you built, what their various parameters were, and what validation statistics they achieved. Comparing the statistics of different models is exactly what that tab is for. 🙂

0 Karma

komnina

Hi, good morning.

Thank you very much. It is very cool.

;>)

kind regards.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...