All Apps and Add-ons

How to get the column name for drilldown in the Table module

cmak
Contributor

When I use the SimpleResultsTable module, I can get the column name and cell contents of the clicked cell with the following code when I drilldown

Column Name: $click.name2$ 
Cell Value : $click.value2$

However, I am unable to find an equivalent with the Table module. I can only get the column name of the first column with

$row.name$

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should use the more useful Sideview keys of $row.fields.fieldName$, $row.fields.someOtherFieldName$, etc.. However if you want the legacy keys only, they would be $row.name$, $row.value$. There is no "row.name2" key, a the Table module does not support that funky behavior where the user's click chooses both a column and a row at the same time. In practice I found that nobody ever really needed that behavior beyond it's interest as a novelty.

In general check out the pretty extensive documentation page at "Module Documentation > The Table Module > Table - Inline Drilldown". ( /en-US/app/sideview_utils/table2_drilldown )

Once you're at that page, follow the instructions to click a row on the Table module. A whole lot of HTML will appear illustrating all of the keys that are available.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should use the more useful Sideview keys of $row.fields.fieldName$, $row.fields.someOtherFieldName$, etc.. However if you want the legacy keys only, they would be $row.name$, $row.value$. There is no "row.name2" key, a the Table module does not support that funky behavior where the user's click chooses both a column and a row at the same time. In practice I found that nobody ever really needed that behavior beyond it's interest as a novelty.

In general check out the pretty extensive documentation page at "Module Documentation > The Table Module > Table - Inline Drilldown". ( /en-US/app/sideview_utils/table2_drilldown )

Once you're at that page, follow the instructions to click a row on the Table module. A whole lot of HTML will appear illustrating all of the keys that are available.

0 Karma

ahogrefe
Engager

Hi there, I "need" this feature, too ... Would love to see it in future versions 😉

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'd occasionally use this as well.

0 Karma

cmak
Contributor

I suppose it is not absolutely vital, but would be a nice to have.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, to be honest you're the first person to ask for it.

People in the field don't seem to use it much on the SimpleResultsTable, so when I built the Table module I left it off. I figured if someone needed it, they would ask for it, but until you nobody ever has. Do you really need it? In situations where I might use it, I always either use a stacked column chart, or I break the interaction into two stages - generally where the first table has some level of summary detail about the second layer, and an inline drilldown that runs a search/postprocess to show the second dimension.

0 Karma

cmak
Contributor

Would the 'all' drilldown mode ever comes to Table module?

0 Karma

cmak
Contributor

Alright, thanks for letting me know

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is not. As with the module's highlighting behavior, the click behavior does not differentiate between clicks on different cells within a single row - only the row is considered selected.

0 Karma

cmak
Contributor

Yes, I would like to know if there is a way to dynamically obtain the column name and cell value of the clicked cell. With the table module, it seems i have to hardcode which column name i would like to obtain, such as $row.cell1.name$ and this is independent of where I clicked

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh I see. Do you really need the name2 and value2 keys? In the SimpleResultsTable module they are specific to just the "all" drilldown mode. Since I've so rarely seen that mode used in the field, I have not implemented anything like it in the Table module.

0 Karma

cmak
Contributor

$row.name2$ and $row.value2$ does not give me the column name as it returns nothing. I am simply trying to find the key that will give me the equivalent to $click.name2$ and $click.value2$. I imagine it is something simple

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...