All Apps and Add-ons

How to get rid of Pulldown error in Sideview Utils

reswob4
Builder

So I have not created any new views or dashboards or anything with Sideview Utils. At the moment, I'm only using it to do some "in web gui" management of a couple of my lookup tables.

Recently I updated to Splunk 6.2.3 and today I went to Sideview Utils - Tools - The Lookup Updater. When I did that, I got multiple popups saying "Splunk encountered the following unknown module: "Pulldown" . The view may not load properly".

It seems the searches on this error have to do with users who are creating pulldowns using Sideview Utils. As I mentioned, I have not created any pulldowns, yet I'm getting this error.

Should I remove the app and reinstall? Is there another fix?

Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What this means, is that something is actually causing a Javascript error on page load. The error message is misleading - it's trying to tell you that the view is using a module that from the server's perspective doesn't exist. Of course the module does exist - Sideview Utils itself packages that module. What has happened is that it was unable to load the module class.

Assuming that the source code of Sideview Utils hasn't been altered (that's your most likely root cause if it has), big disruptive JS errors can happen in some interesting ways.

• If there are ultimately two copies of Sideview Utils installed. I have seen deployments where etc/apps/sideview_utils was at one point renamed etc/apps/old_svu or something, and then when a new Sideview Utils version was installed, interesting things happened. JS errors on page load were definitely in the mix.

• If something corrupted the files in some way. I saw this happen a couple times in customer deployments and although we were never able to figure out why it had happened, the fix was pretty straightforward - reinstall the app.

Short version -- if you don't have a second doppelganger copy of Sideview Utils hiding in there, some other app hasn't inappropriate bundled the Sideview modules inside itself, and downloading a fresh package and reinstalling the app doesn't fix it, then let me know
a- what your browser says in the Javascript console or Error console. There will be some javascript error there.
b- what version of splunk you are running, what version of Sideview Utils, as well as for good measure, what browser and platform.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What this means, is that something is actually causing a Javascript error on page load. The error message is misleading - it's trying to tell you that the view is using a module that from the server's perspective doesn't exist. Of course the module does exist - Sideview Utils itself packages that module. What has happened is that it was unable to load the module class.

Assuming that the source code of Sideview Utils hasn't been altered (that's your most likely root cause if it has), big disruptive JS errors can happen in some interesting ways.

• If there are ultimately two copies of Sideview Utils installed. I have seen deployments where etc/apps/sideview_utils was at one point renamed etc/apps/old_svu or something, and then when a new Sideview Utils version was installed, interesting things happened. JS errors on page load were definitely in the mix.

• If something corrupted the files in some way. I saw this happen a couple times in customer deployments and although we were never able to figure out why it had happened, the fix was pretty straightforward - reinstall the app.

Short version -- if you don't have a second doppelganger copy of Sideview Utils hiding in there, some other app hasn't inappropriate bundled the Sideview modules inside itself, and downloading a fresh package and reinstalling the app doesn't fix it, then let me know
a- what your browser says in the Javascript console or Error console. There will be some javascript error there.
b- what version of splunk you are running, what version of Sideview Utils, as well as for good measure, what browser and platform.

reswob4
Builder

Getting the new version and installing that fixed it.

Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...