All Apps and Add-ons

How to get encrypted password fields during modular input parameters validation?

umairahmad3985
Path Finder

Hi all,

I am stuck in a very unfortunate condition. I am developing a modular input (using Splunk Add-on builder) that takes two input parameters, a Base URL and an API key. I am interested in validating both in my validate_input by sending a request to our server and if the response is good, then let the user save the input parameters. The problem is that my API key input parameter is of type password and in my validate_input method, I am only able to get its encrypted value in the form of ***********. How can I get its plain value so that I can use it to send request to the server? Here's my sample code for the validate_input method.

def validate_input(helper, definition):
    """Implement your own validation logic to validate the input stanza configurations"""
    # This example accesses the modular input variable
    snx_base_url = definition.parameters.get('snx_base_url', None)
    snx_api_key = definition.parameters.get('snx_api_key', None)

Please point me in a direction that can help me achieve the above. I shall be highly thankful to you!

Regards,
Umair

0 Karma

pmeyerson
Path Finder

From what I understand, if you just mark it as a password type input, it does not actually store the input encrypted in passwords.conf, just masks it on the screen.

What worked for me is setting up a global account (checkbox in add-on builder), this gives us a way to enter a username and password, which are then encrypted in passwords.conf.  To retreive, use helper.get_arg("credential_name"), where credential_name is what you call the input where the user selects which credential to use.  HTH

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I do not have experience doing this programmatically, but the command below is the CLI version of what you're looking for. It may help (be sure to enclose the value in tick marks as in the example)...

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk show-decrypted --value 'pass4Symmkey_value_here'
----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

umairahmad3985
Path Finder

No use doing it by CLI. Need to do this in my modular input script. Thanks though!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...