All Apps and Add-ons

How to get data into Splunk from Ubuntu Linux server without a universal forwarder?

tumdev
Explorer

Hello

I have have 1 Linux Server (Ubuntu) and 1 Splunk Instance (CentOS).

I need to see performance of Linux Server with Splunk App for Unix and Linux. But my customer doesn't want to me install a universal forwarder on his server.

How can Splunk get logs from Linux Server without installing a Universal Forwarder?

sorry for my english 🙂

Thank you for advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi tumdev,

you could use syslog to forward the Ubuntu logs to the Splunk indexer or mount the Ubuntu's /var/log on the Splunk indexer and read the logs this way.
To get the performance data, some script must be run on the Ubuntu server that writes those figures into either syslog or a log file in /var/log.

hope this helps to get you started ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi tumdev,

you could use syslog to forward the Ubuntu logs to the Splunk indexer or mount the Ubuntu's /var/log on the Splunk indexer and read the logs this way.
To get the performance data, some script must be run on the Ubuntu server that writes those figures into either syslog or a log file in /var/log.

hope this helps to get you started ...

cheers, MuS

grijhwani
Motivator

I suggest that if you are going to use syslog you make it syslog over TCP (by default it is UDP), and that you use (Balabit's) syslog-ng as your syslog server - it is way more configurable than the default rsyslogd.

0 Karma

tumdev
Explorer

Thank you, Mus 🙂

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

You're pretty much on your own - Splunk's way of grabbing this data IS via forwarders. If your customer don't want forwarders, there's no ready-made alternate solution. You should be spending your time explaining this to your customer instead.

tumdev
Explorer

Thank you for your suggest.

Can you preview or keep me some document please

thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...