All Apps and Add-ons

How to edit xsconfig.conf to monitor more xenservers or pools ?

mohaja
Explorer

Hi,

I add the TA for XenServer and already to monitor log for a pool or server. My question is how can i edit the xsconfig.conf to include multiple servers or pools. Already add servers and seperate by comma ',' but how do i add user/passwd for each server or pool ? I did try seperate the user & passwd using comma ',' but seem doesn't work. Any suggestion ?

Thanks.

1 Solution

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Here are the step-by-step instructions:

1. Rename TA-XS60-Server to TA-XS60-Pool1
  2. Open app.conf in TA-XS60-Pool1
  3. Change id=TA-XS60-Server to id=TA-XS60-Pool1
  4. Save app.conf
  5. Open inputs.conf in TA-XS60-Pool1
  6. Find and replace all instances of TA-XS60-Server with TA-XS60-Pool1
  7. Save inputs.conf
  8. Open xsUtils.py in TA-XS60-Pool1
  9. Find and replace all instances of TA-XS60-Server with TA-XS60-Pool1
  10. Save xsUtils.py
  11. Restart Splunk

Repeat this process for any other XenServer pools you have. No changes need to be made to the Server Virtualization App.

View solution in original post

mohaja
Explorer

I've applied your step-by-step guide and it work. Now adding more server/pool; we're in education area with limited number of server. Thank you Mr Jconger, you're my saviour and hope this guide benefit all.

Thanks.

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Here are the step-by-step instructions:

1. Rename TA-XS60-Server to TA-XS60-Pool1
  2. Open app.conf in TA-XS60-Pool1
  3. Change id=TA-XS60-Server to id=TA-XS60-Pool1
  4. Save app.conf
  5. Open inputs.conf in TA-XS60-Pool1
  6. Find and replace all instances of TA-XS60-Server with TA-XS60-Pool1
  7. Save inputs.conf
  8. Open xsUtils.py in TA-XS60-Pool1
  9. Find and replace all instances of TA-XS60-Server with TA-XS60-Pool1
  10. Save xsUtils.py
  11. Restart Splunk

Repeat this process for any other XenServer pools you have. No changes need to be made to the Server Virtualization App.

mohaja
Explorer

I follow your instruction by renaming it to TA-XS60-Server-1 and remove the TA-XS60-Server folder, stop splunk, clear the eventdata (just to be sure. 'splunk clear eventdata'), then start splunk.

I also do your 'find and replace' suggestion and verify that all 'TA-XS60-Server' change to 'TA-XS60-Server-1'. After start splunk, there no data. Seems that SplunkAppForServerVirt cannot see TA-XS60-Server-1. Do i need to modify SplunkAppForServerVirt setting to recognize TA-XS60-Server-1 ?

Hope Mr jconger can enlighten us...

Thanks.

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Splunk Add-on for Citrix XenServer only supports 1 pool. You can have multiple copies of the Splunk Add-on for Citrix XenServer with each copy connecting to a different pool though. These copies can be on the same server or forwarder. It would look something like this:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/
    TA-XS60-Server-pool-1/
    TA-XS60-Server-pool-2/
    TA-XS60-Server-pool-3/
    TA-XS60-Server-pool-4/

You would need to perform a "find and replace" in each TA-XS60-Server-pool-x folder. For instance, find:

TA-XS60-Server

Replace with:

TA-XS60-Server-pool-1
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...