All Apps and Add-ons

How to display maps in a view created with Sideview Utils Sideview Editor?

okheggdal
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to display a blob on a map in a view created with the Sideview Utils Sideview Editor. I have a search which populates the correct data so it is presentable by for example HERE Maps and the built-in maps in Splunk. However, I am unsure on how to implement this either by the Sideview Editor or in the XML.

The layout of the map and the design of the blob is of minor importance I am (at first at least) only attempting to display the current location of a mobile device.

Can anyone point me in the direction in order to get this work?

0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes but only if you use the old GoogleMaps module in the Google Maps app . Here's a screenshot of the Sideview Editor editing a GoogleMaps module downstream from a large number of other modules like TextFields and Pulldowns.

If you're comfortable with the old GoogleMaps module it's pretty straightforward. On the other hand if you're looking to use the newer map functionality from Splunk I'm afraid that's not possible in the Sideview Editor nor using the Sideview XML.

alt text

(By the way and in case you're wondering, what you see here downstream from the GoogleMaps module is part of custom drilldown functionality we have in this particular page. )

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes but only if you use the old GoogleMaps module in the Google Maps app . Here's a screenshot of the Sideview Editor editing a GoogleMaps module downstream from a large number of other modules like TextFields and Pulldowns.

If you're comfortable with the old GoogleMaps module it's pretty straightforward. On the other hand if you're looking to use the newer map functionality from Splunk I'm afraid that's not possible in the Sideview Editor nor using the Sideview XML.

alt text

(By the way and in case you're wondering, what you see here downstream from the GoogleMaps module is part of custom drilldown functionality we have in this particular page. )

okheggdal
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. We are currently using the Google Maps for other purposes so downgrading is not an option.
I`ll look into other ways of accomplishing this. 🙂

Cheers!

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You do not need to downgrade the Google Maps app. I had referred to the "old" Google Maps app in my answer but I just meant old in the sense that these days there are also other ways of using maps in your dashboards. The latest Google Maps app will work great with the Sideview Editor.

0 Karma

pietervi
Path Finder

Hi,

Is there a specific reason why you are using sideview utils to build your dashboard?
Since splunk 6, the out of the box dashboarding capabilities have significantly improved.
If you can create a simple xml dashboard without using sideview utils it will be easier to include the HERE maps components.

This can be done by creating your dashboard and then convert it to an HTML dashboard.
Once you have an HTML dashboard it might be a bit tricky to include them, but if you have HTML and javascript knowledge that should not be an issue.
Have a look at the example dashboards: https://github.com/pvanisacker/heremaps/tree/master/default/data/ui/html
And see the documentation: https://github.com/pvanisacker/heremaps/blob/master/CUSTOM-HTML.md

0 Karma

okheggdal
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion @pietervi. I have other dashboards that utilize the HERE maps in simple and advanced XML. However, Sideview offered me the simplicity I was after when developing dashboards as I am by no means an XML buff. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...