All Apps and Add-ons

How to display earliest and latest dates of searches in a dashboard and PDF report?

joonradley
Path Finder

Hi,

How do you display the earliest and latest dates of the searches in a dashboard that is later rendered into a PDF report?

This report gets mailed out once a week and with no earliest and latest dates it is pretty tough to keep track of them.

Thank you

Joon

gabriel_vasseur
Contributor

If, like me, you don't want that information into a table but want to display it in some HTML or in the title of panels, edit the xml and locate the ... block. Witin it add a "done" clause like in this example:

<search>
  <query> ... </query>
  <earliest> ... </earliest>
  <latest> ... </latest>
  <done>
    <eval token="earliest_token"> stftime( relative_time( now(), $job.request.earliest_time$ ),  "%c" ) </eval>
    <eval token="latest_token"> stftime( relative_time( now(), $job.request.latest_time$ ),  "%c" ) </eval>
  </done>
</search>

Then you can do things like:

<row>
  <panel>
    <html>
      <p>Showing data from $earliest_token$ to $latest_token$.</p>
    </html>
  </panel>
</row>

There is many ways this can be tweaked to your preference, starting with the format you give to strftime. This example assumes that the earliest/latest are relative times such as "-7d@d" etc. You'll need to update the eval if they are epoch timestamps for instance.

Also, I'm using this with a base search at the top of the dashboard (outside any panel). If you're trying this with a search within a panel, I'm not a 100% sure the tokens will be available everywhere in the dashboard.

One slight annoyance with this solution is that the earliest/latest tokens are not populated until the search is done, but I haven't found how to avoid that. Works for me anyway.

gabriel_vasseur
Contributor

Unfortunately, that works for the dashboard but not for the scheduled PDF 😞

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

you could add a table showing the min and max _time, like that:

index=main | stats min(_time) AS startDate, max(_time) AS endDate | convert timeformat="%F %T" ctime(*Date)

Just add it as another element to the Dashboard in a table format.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...