All Apps and Add-ons

How to deploy app to (and from) a multi-tiered deployment server

steven_swor
Path Finder

I'm setting up a multi-tiered Splunk deployment, with a primary and a secondary deployment server (where the secondary is a client of the primary). I want to:

1. Deploy the Unix TA from the primary to the secondary, so that the add-on will run on the secondary.
  2. Deploy the Unix TA from the secondary to all of its clients, so that the add-on will run on them.

On my primary deployment server, I have the following in serverclass.conf:

# Drop the Unix TA into the secondary's deployment-apps folder,
# so it can deploy the add-on to its clients.
[serverClass:secondaryDeploymentServersDeploymentApps]
targetRepositoryLocation = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps
whitelist.0 = SecondaryDeploymentServer
stateOnClient = noop

[serverClass:secondaryDeploymentServersDeploymentApps:app:Splunk_TA_nix]

# Install the Unix TA onto the secondary, so that we can collect
# its host metrics.
[serverClass:secondaryDeploymentServers]
whitelist.0 = SecondaryDeploymentServer
stateOnClient = enabled

[serverClass:secondaryDeploymentServers:app:Splunk_TA_nix]

When I start up the primary deployment server and view the forwarder management page, I see this message:

The forwarder management interface does not support some settings in your serverclass.conf file. The interface is now read-only.

When I click the link on the word settings, I get taken to a search with a single event, whose message reads:

Attribute unsupported by UI: stanza=serverClass:secondaryDeploymentServersDeploymentApps property=stateOnClient reason='2+ distinct values at this level'

I figured this was allowable, per the Splunk documentation, but I guess not. So, what is the correct way of setting this up?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is a bug in serverclass.spec that causes Splunk Deployment Server to give the following FALSE error logs:

Checking conf files for problems...
                Invalid key in stanza [serverClass:site1_indexers] in /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/serverclass.conf, line XXX: targetRepositoryLocation  (value:  $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps).
                Invalid key in stanza [serverClass:site1_indexers] in /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/serverclass.conf, line XXX+1: targetRepositoryLocationPolicy  (value:  rejectAlways).

You can confirm that it actually works by running /opt/splunk/bin/splunk show config serverclass | grep targetRepository which will give you this (which clearly indicates functional configurations):

targetRepositoryLocation=$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
targetRepositoryLocation=$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps
targetRepositoryLocationPolicy=rejectAlways

You can double-check that it should work by running /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool serverclass list --debug| grep targetRepository which will give you this (which clearly indicates valid configurations):

/opt/splunk/etc/system/default/serverclass.conf targetRepositoryLocation = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/serverclass.conf   targetRepositoryLocation = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps
/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/serverclass.conf   targetRepositoryLocationPolicy = rejectAlways

You can also confirm by checking the target Cluster Master destination which will clearly show that it does indeed pull in CM apps to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ as well as Indexer apps (via a different serverclass using the targetRepository* settings) to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/.

It is unfortunate the both the documentation and the spec files are in error. I am trying to open a documentation update request to get this mess cleared up.

NOTE: You may, or may not, desire the rejectAlways setting. Use it or don't; it has nothing to do with the viability of the other setting(s).

tomasmoser
Contributor

I followed this thread a have to say it does work. I am able to use DS to deploy selectively apps to both MN and IDXC cluser that MN manages and also to DEP and SHC cluster that DAP manages. This is awesome!

wrangler2x
Motivator

Take a look at this Splunk answer and scroll down to the one which references https://gist.github.com/sworisbreathing/d236895568eaf31da579

tomasmoser
Contributor

I followed hints in above link and finaly make my deployment working. See my comment below.

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Seems related to http://answers.splunk.com/answers/10500/tiered-deployment-servers-is-it-possible.html

I'd also very much like to see this functionality implemented and working, especially being able to manage clients 1 tier down from a central deployment server.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...