All Apps and Add-ons

How to count hosts in cisco:ios source type?

eholz1
Contributor

Hello All,

I am using the Splunk Cisco TA plugin to get all kinds of data from the cisco devices reporting to splunk. I am sending the cisco logs direct from the cisco host to splunk. Is there a way to get the host only out of a search?, I mean without the events per host. Just the deduped hosts using "sourcetype="cisco:ios" in the search field for a given time span (24hrs, 30 days, etc). it would be nice to get the accurate count of hosts sending data to the indexer.

thanks,

Eholz`

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That sounds like a job for the stats command.  For speed, use tstats.

| tstats count where index=* host=* sourcetype="cisco:ios" by host

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That sounds like a job for the stats command.  For speed, use tstats.

| tstats count where index=* host=* sourcetype="cisco:ios" by host

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

eholz1
Contributor

Hello richgalloway,

Thanks again for the response, an excellent search term. I wish I had thought of using tstats.

Thanks again

eholz1

nyc_jason
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can also add | fields - count to Richard's tstats, to be left with just the host field.

eholz1
Contributor

Hello nyc_jason,

Kudos all around. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. For once I learned

more about Splunk and the ART of search stings and SPL You both gave me a mini-lesson in searching.

Thanks,

eholz1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...