All Apps and Add-ons

How to convert from Splunk to SIGMA?

pritster5
Engager

Via Sigma (rule format for SIEM's) converters, it is possible to convert Sigma rules to Splunk queries. 

This is a well established process and can be done through tools like: https://github.com/SigmaHQ/pySigma 
or https://github.com/SigmaHQ/sigma

My question is, is there any way to do the reverse?
Is there a way to convert Splunk queries into Sigma Rules?

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

afroemmel_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As with any such abstract tools, I'd advise strongly against using it.

I tested the sigmac some time ago and it produced an extremely ugly searches and didn't support a huge subset of the sigma rules specification.

I also doubt that fairly useful functionality the opposite way (splunk to sigma rules) is possible. Maybe for some small subset of spl commands and constructs but - as the infamous example of "spl for sql users" shows, automatic translation is simply producing bad results.

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

You are right....I normally use the Sigma searches as inspiration and use them to create and tailor a search for my own environment and specific needs. You need to look beyond the ugliness of the translation and find the detection gems in them.

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

I always user www.uncoder.io  but that does not work from Splunk to Sigma unfortunately.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...