All Apps and Add-ons

How to configure inputs.conf for the Splunk Add-on for ISC BIND?

newmanjn

The way we do our logging is to a centralized syslog server, using the remote syslog protocol. All our Cisco gear is configured to log to this server, all Linux/Unix boxes have a *.* @syslog-server line in their syslog config. Even the Windows machines have an app which exports events into a stream of syslog messages that go here. There is very little granularity on the syslog server itself. Basically all incoming messages gets dumped into a single file (a huge file, rotated daily, stored on a netapp).

This huge log file is mounted on the Splunk server as the main input source. We have a couple other sources, but mainly it is just this one file with log data from all sorts of disparate sources (including the BIND/named logging from all our name servers..)

I am currently trying to get the Splunk Add-on for ISC Bind working using this architecture. The instructions say to do the following:

From http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/latest/ISCBIND/Configureinputs

Configure inputs.conf
You can create an inputs.conf file and configure the monitor inputs in this file instead of using Splunk Web.
1. Using a text editor, create a file named inputs.conf in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_isc-bind/local folder.
2. Add the following stanzas and lines, and save the file:

[monitor:///var/log/named/queries.log]
sourcetype = isc:bind:query
disabled = 0
[monitor:///var/log/named/query-errors.log]
sourcetype = isc:bind:queryerror
disabled = 0
[monitor:///var/log/named/network.log]
sourcetype = isc:bind:network
disabled = 0
[monitor:///var/log/named/notify.log]
sourcetype = isc:bind:transfer
disabled = 0
[monitor:///var/log/lame-servers.log]
sourcetype = isc:bind:lameserver
disabled = 0

This obviously will not work for me... I have sample regular expressions for each of these sourcetypes that needs to be set. My question is: What is the best/correct way to do this? Edit the system/local/transforms.conf with a stanza for each of the isc:bind:XXX sourcetypes... but what would that look like? Do I use DEST_KEY = isc:bind:XXXX, something like:

[iscBindQuery]
DEST_KEY = isc:bind:query
REGEX = query:\s+\(?([\w\-\.:]{1,100})\)?\s+([^\s]+)\s+([^\s]+)\s+[\+\-]([^\s]*)\s+\(([\w\-\.:]{1,100})\)/)

... and so on, with another stanza using DEST_KEY to set the various isc:bind:XXX types... Will that work for setting a "sourcetype" ? Or should I use SOURCE_KEY = isc:bind:XXXX in these stanzas...

Or is there another approach here that I am missing?

Thanks so much for any insight!

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hey -- scenario 4 here: http://blogs.splunk.com/2010/02/11/sourcetypes-gone-wild/

It's not ideal for performance or maintainability because you're now going to be evaluating everything more heavily than necessary, but if you have to go this way, it can work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...