All Apps and Add-ons

How to configure REST API Modular Input with Search Head Cluster

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am using REST API Modular Input to sample Twitter per http://blogs.splunk.com/2014/07/03/splunking-social-media-tracking-tweets/ on a Standalone Search Head. It all works great.

How would I configure this on a search head cluster? Would I add inputs.conf on each Search Head in my cluster? How would we be sure each head didn't run the rest command but the results would be available across all heads.

The inputs.conf has the stanza

[rest://TwitterFeed]
0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

In a distributed architecture you should install the App on a Forwarder and edit inputs.conf directly rather than using the config UI.

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

In a distributed architecture you should install the App on a Forwarder and edit inputs.conf directly rather than using the config UI.

matthewroberson
Path Finder

Is there a way to have high availability for the REST Modular Input(without resorting to a load balancer)? What if the standalone search head/forwarder goes down?

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So I tried on a forwarder but was getting odd python errors. Does the REST API Modular Input have to be on a full Splunk install or will a splunk forwarder install suffice?

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

"...Unlike full Splunk Enterprise, the universal forwarder does not include a bundled version of Python...."

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Forwarding/Typesofforwarders#The_universal_forward...

UF's need a python runtime on the OS.
Heavy Forwaders do not.

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks. So the problem was the default python was 2.6. Once I pointed /usr/bin/python 2.7 I got it to work. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk Life | Splunk is Officially Part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint. Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...