All Apps and Add-ons

How to configure PagerDuty alerts in Splunk Cloud?

matthewcummings

I've run into a few different issues with the PagerDuty integration in Splunk Cloud.

1. The documentation on PagerDuty's site is either outdated, not applicable to Splunk Cloud or else there's something wrong with the way my Splunk Cloud account is configured (could be a permissions issue): https://www.pagerduty.com/docs/guides/splunk-integration-guide/. I don't see an Alert Actions page in Splunk Cloud, I have a Searches, Reports and Alerts page though.
  2. I've configured PD alerts in Splunk using the alert_logevent app but it's not clear if I should instead be using some other app. These alerts do fire when there are search hits but I'm seeing another issue (below). The alert_webhook app type seems like it might be appropriate but I was unable to get it to work correctly. I cannot create an alert type using the pagerduty_incident app. . . although I can set it as a Trigger Action (I guess this is how it's supposed to work, I don't find the UI to intuitive here).
  3. When my alerts fire and create incidents in PagerDuty, I do not see a way to set the PagerDuty incident severity.
  4. Also, the PD incidents include a link back to Splunk, which I believe should open the query with the search hits which generated the alert. However, the link brings me to a page with a Page Not Found! error. It contains a link to "more information about my request" which brings up a Splunk query with no hits. This query looks like "index=_internal, host=SOME_HOST_ON_SPLUNK_CLOUD, source=*web_service.log, log_level=ERROR, requestid=A_REQUEST_ID". It it not clear to me if this is a config issue, bug in Splunk Cloud or possibly even a permissions issue for my account.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...