All Apps and Add-ons

How to configure Character Set Encoding when using Splunk DB Connect?

Amirahussein
Path Finder

Dears,

I am getting data from database using Splunk DB Connect, the data is stored in Arabic and needs to be encoded in Splunk.
I have edited props.conf with the character set configuration as below, but the data still appear

I tried all below configurations
1:
[sourcetype]
CHARSET= CP1256
2:
[sourcetype]
CHARSET= ISO-8859-6
3:
[sourcetype]
CHARSET= AUTO

cdpascariu
Engager

Hi Amirahussein,

I got into the same issue with names being retrieved correctly from the DB but not being properly indexed. After some digging I found that I had some extra parameters to the JVM Options, restart the Task Server (JAVA) and everything was back to normal again.

The JVM options are:
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-DdefaultCharset=UTF-8

This worked in my case. Hopefully that will help you. Maybe in your case should be some Arabic CHARSET.

--Chip

mikaelbje
Motivator

Thanks for this. Solved my charset issues after upgrading to DB Connect 3.0.2 from 2.4.0

Amirahussein
Path Finder

Dears,

please note that the right mapping (character set ) needed is "windows-1265" which will map the Arabic massage correctly when being input from external database

after looking/searching in the documentation i found only the below codes:

Language Code
Arabic CP1256
Arabic ISO-8859-6

so any suggestion please

Amira

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

hi
how to add both language codes in props.conf file

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...