All Apps and Add-ons

How to add more resource fields in Timeline plugin?

Lukasz1
Engager

Hello Splunk community,

I'm testing Splunk Timeline - Custom Visualization plugin. I'd like to visualize distributed tracing in my microservices architecture, like app name, request URL, response codes, etc. 

According to the documentation , I can specify only one resource field. How can use more fields?

I also found Splunk .conf19 presentation and the 19th slide looks promising:

Lukasz1_0-1660073922274.png

Unfortunately, mentioned presentation doesn't provide us with implementation details. Could you point me in the right direction to achieve the same, please? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If a visualization says you can use only one field then you cannot use more than one field.  You may, however, get it to work by concatenating multiple fields into a single field.  The results may not make much sense, however, and the method doesn't work with numeric data.

Looking at the cited presentation, slide 19 uses the term "waterfall  visualization".  A search in splunkbase for that term returns the app at https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3669/.  Perhaps that will do what you want.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Lukasz1
Engager

Thanks. I've already tried concatenation but this plugin seems to be implemented poorly and longer strings get truncated on the tooltip. In addition, I didn't manage to break the line which makes it less readable.

In terms of "waterfall visualization", looks like it's compatible with Splunk Enterprise only and I couldn't find any documentation for that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...