All Apps and Add-ons

How to Configure Pinger App

sudipTcs
Engager

How to configure the Pinger app to monitor a live website?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jensihnow
Path Finder

There is a Readme unter /opt/splunk/etc/apps/pinger/ with details of configuration.

Extract the tarball into $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps.  Once extracted, review pinger/default /pinger.conf.spec and pinger.conf.example to understand the configuration format.  Edit pinger/local/pinger.conf to add monitor stanzas.  Edit pinger/local/inputs.conf to enable/disable global monitoring and change the frequency.  Monitoring more websites  should use longer intervals (30 - 60s) whereas fewer monitors may be run more freqwuently.

In the pinger.conf it is very easy to configure the sites to be monitored, for example:

# The following stanza configures basic monitoring for a web resource
[splunk_com]
label = splunk.com
host = www.splunk.com
resource = /

I hope that helps, if not please specifiy your question a bit more.

View solution in original post

benjihammond
Engager

Still can't get this working. Added pinger/local and put pinger.conf and inputs.conf in there per your other post (Please create the local directory under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/pinger. To make Pinger work you need a pinger.conf and an inputs.conf. For pinger.conf, please follow the examples in pinger.conf.spec. For inputs.conf, at a minimum override the disabled flag for the scripted input but you can also use this to change the frequency.), but still not adding anything to the index. Any other steps? Any error log outputs? Ready to give up.

chimbudp
Contributor

Goto : /opt/splunk/etc/apps/pinger/default

make script to run --->

Edit as below :

[script://./bin/heartbeat.py]
interval = 60
index = main
sourcetype = sla_heartbeat
source = sla_heartbeat
disabled = false

Enjoy...

0 Karma

russellliss
Path Finder

If you are running under windows, change the forward slashes to back slashes for the [script]

0 Karma

pstout
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for answering! In addition to jensihnow's comment-- If your website has multiple components (for example, if you use a CDN for static assets on a cookie-less domain), make sure you enter a separate Pinger stanza for each distinct domain. E.g., cdn.example.com, www.example.com.

There are several examples in default/pinger.conf.example and the entire specification can be found in default/pinger.conf.spec

Cheers!

jensihnow
Path Finder

There is a Readme unter /opt/splunk/etc/apps/pinger/ with details of configuration.

Extract the tarball into $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps.  Once extracted, review pinger/default /pinger.conf.spec and pinger.conf.example to understand the configuration format.  Edit pinger/local/pinger.conf to add monitor stanzas.  Edit pinger/local/inputs.conf to enable/disable global monitoring and change the frequency.  Monitoring more websites  should use longer intervals (30 - 60s) whereas fewer monitors may be run more freqwuently.

In the pinger.conf it is very easy to configure the sites to be monitored, for example:

# The following stanza configures basic monitoring for a web resource
[splunk_com]
label = splunk.com
host = www.splunk.com
resource = /

I hope that helps, if not please specifiy your question a bit more.

cpotenzone
Engager

Can you do this configuration from the manager or do you have to modify the .conf file?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...