All Apps and Add-ons

How do I update my app in Splunkbase?

csyvenky
Path Finder

Hi,

I have updated /default/app.conf and increased the Version and Build values. Tar'd the folder up and attempted to use the Splunkbase admin portal to update the release. When I upload the tar.gz file I receive the following error:

"No "app.conf" file was not found the "default" directory"

Although, the tarball clearly has this file and it passes AppInspect tests showing the correct version in the AI report.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @csyvenky,

As @tkomatsubara_splunk mentioned make sure the permissions on your files are right before creating the tarball.

Also make sure your tarball doesn't contain multiple levels, it could be that when you untar it you need to go down two levels before reaching your local and default folders.

Make sure you've got the following right :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunkbase/latest/Splunkbase/Approvalcriteria#Packaging_and_na...

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @csyvenky,

As @tkomatsubara_splunk mentioned make sure the permissions on your files are right before creating the tarball.

Also make sure your tarball doesn't contain multiple levels, it could be that when you untar it you need to go down two levels before reaching your local and default folders.

Make sure you've got the following right :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunkbase/latest/Splunkbase/Approvalcriteria#Packaging_and_na...

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

csyvenky
Path Finder

Thanks for the feedback folks, I got it working. The suggestions forced me to triple check. Although I didn't have a permission issue, I did have a folder level issue. I grabbed my tar command from the README which includes a period - as a result of running the command with a period at the end I also ended up with an unneeded folder.

This is what I was running:
tar --exclude='/.git' -czvf .tar.gz /.

Which resulted in this:
tar -zxvf .tar.gz
/./default/app.conf.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

You're welcome ! As I mentioned, it's always either permissions or this folder level thingy...

Feel free to accept the answer or convert your comment and accept it 🙂

0 Karma

tkomatsubara_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It looks like there is permission issue. If you are using linux, please take a look into the permissions.

0 Karma

csyvenky
Path Finder

I’m building on OSX - thought I validated that permissions matched all other files. Didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

I don't have a local folder, only default.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

@csyvenky
where is your app file in /default or /local
is it possible to share the TAR folder contents?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...