All Apps and Add-ons

How do I set Timezone (TZ) Overrides for the Splunk Add-on for F5 BIG-IP?

bandit
Motivator

All of my events are coming one hour in the future. I've checked the f5 web console and it shows Date:
Apr 26, 2016
Time:
1:59 PM (CDT).
I've tried adding the following to the local/props.conf on the heavy forwarder.

[source::lf-app*]
TZ = America/Chicago

[source::lf-gapp*]
TZ = America/Chicago

I've also tried under individual props stanzas.

[f5_bigip:icontrol:locallb]
TZ = America/Chicago
rename = f5:bigip:ltm:locallb:icontrol

However the events are stilling coming in with an Eastern time.

alt text

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, you definitely HAD a TZ problem but if you have addressed it, you need to wait 3600 seconds (1 hour) before you reassess because your events were being thrown 1 hour into the future. This means that you have to wait for them to trickle into the present (and then to the past) before you will be able to effectively ignore them. You should be doing your evaluation search for a very short window (like Last 5 minutes). You need to be aware that these changes require that you restart Splunk on your HFs and they only apply to events that arrive at the Indexers/HFs post-restart (what is already done, will stay wrong).

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

Thanks for your help @woodcock. You are correct. I am still seeing the issue with events approximately one hour into the future. I have restarted after making the props.conf changes.

Search:

index=*** sourcetype=*f5** source=*** host="***" earliest=+55m@m latest=+65min@m
    | head 1000
    | dedup 10 index sourcetype source
    | eval index_time=strftime(_indextime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
    | eval index_lag=_indextime-_time
    | eval event_length=len(_raw)
    | table index sourcetype source _time index_time index_lag linecount event_length _raw
0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

Just to clarify, my config changes did not correct the issue. Wondering if the rename in the stanza has something to do with it. I may try putting the rules under the renamed sourcetype stanza to see if that makes a difference.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, that could definitely be it. Also, although your value should be OK, I have never used it. Try this value (which I have used successfully) instead:

TZ = US/Central
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

What makes you think that this is true? Do you know about your user's Timezone setting which presents all times normalized to YOUR timezone? Is this set correctly?

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

My user is set to Central time. I've uploaded some pics above that show index time and event time with the 3600 seconds into the future. All other sourcetypes display correctly for me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...