All Apps and Add-ons

How do I filter unwanted columns like description fields while configuring inputs for the Splunk Add-on for ServiceNow?

AnilPujar
Path Finder

For ex.: My task table sc_task contains many fields like created_on,sys_id,comments,work_notes,... and i don't want to index comments column, so how do I apply a filter?

Filter parameters provide filters in key-value pairs for indexing only selected data from the table. For example, key1=value1&key2=value2. The default is no filter.

i tried the below format
key1=created_on&key2=sys_id&key3=work_notes --> excluded comments column/fields ..
Result:
Nothing indexed 0 events.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Super Champion

Hi @AnilPujar,

1. Filter parameters in add-on is used to Provide filters in key-value pairs for indexing only selected data from the table and not used to remove that key-value pair.
  2. And it is written in format like key1=value1 i.e. for ex. sys_id=abc and not key2=sys_id
  3. So to remove comments key and value try SEDCMD command- Use SEDCMD to remove the parts of the events that you don't want. Have a look at - http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Data/Anonymizedata#Anonymize_data_with_a_sed_scrip...

View solution in original post

AnilPujar
Path Finder

Got the solution,

Under Excluded properties, just need to mention the fieldnames which i dont want to index.

description, comments

the space after comma is important in older versions of service now addon, else it didn't work donno why.

0 Karma

Super Champion

Hi @AnilPujar,

1. Filter parameters in add-on is used to Provide filters in key-value pairs for indexing only selected data from the table and not used to remove that key-value pair.
  2. And it is written in format like key1=value1 i.e. for ex. sys_id=abc and not key2=sys_id
  3. So to remove comments key and value try SEDCMD command- Use SEDCMD to remove the parts of the events that you don't want. Have a look at - http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Data/Anonymizedata#Anonymize_data_with_a_sed_scrip...

AnilPujar
Path Finder

for example my raw data is something like below, then can you please help me with the sedcmd...

_raw=> sys_id="34979jhk3j409823", comments="asdfhksdkjf"sdfkjh" sdfa ", sdfasf", created_on="2018-07-07 12:12:12", work_notes="sadfjkhdk sadfkhasdkfjd"

sys_id="34979jhk3j409823", comments="asdfhksdkjf"sdfkjh" sdfa ", sdfasf", work_notes="sadfjkhdk sadfkhasdkfjd", created_on="2018-07-07 12:12:12"

comments can have any characters and some times the no. of characters are crossing 30,000 characters... So facing difficult to remove.

0 Karma

Super Champion

try in props.conf-

[<yoursourcetypeName>]
SEDCMD-Anon = s/comments=\"([^\"]+)//g
0 Karma

AnilPujar
Path Finder

comments="asdfhksdkjf"sdfkjh" sdfa ", sdfasf",
--> does it removes the complete thing or just "asdfhksdkjf" ?

0 Karma

Super Champion

it will remove complete thing i.e. comments="asdfhksdkjf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...