All Apps and Add-ons

How do I do simple token based authentication with the REST modular TA?

centrafraserk
Path Finder

This seems like it should be really simple but I am having trouble wrapping my head around the different types of authentication available in the REST modular TA. Basically I am working with a NetBox instance and I am trying to pull in json data via the REST API. I am able to get data directly from the server by running this simple curl command:

curl -X GET --header 'Accept: application/json' --header 'Authorization: Token redactedtoken' 'https://netbox.mydomain.com/api/circuits/circuits/' --insecure

This returns the expected data running it directly on the OS. I do not think this is standard oath1 or oath2, but maybe on of those options can still work for this use case? I tried oath2 by setting the Token Type to "Token" and then entering my token value in the token field, but I receive an error stating that Token is not a valid type of Token. I have also tried putting "Authorization: Token redactedtoken" in the custom header field, and it does not parse that correctly as a header either and throws errors.

I can access parts of the API that do not require credentials, so I know that splunk can make the connection. I feel like I am missing something extremely simple, any thoughts would be appreciated. Even finding a way to log what curl command the rest.py script is trying to use would go a long way in figuring out what fields my information needs to go in.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Without seeing your actual config or any logs , this answer is merely a guess.

In the custom header field , the key : value is "=" delimited (mentioned in the annotation and example directly under the text entry field on the setup screen).

So :

Authorization=Token redactedtoken

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Without seeing your actual config or any logs , this answer is merely a guess.

In the custom header field , the key : value is "=" delimited (mentioned in the annotation and example directly under the text entry field on the setup screen).

So :

Authorization=Token redactedtoken
0 Karma

centrafraserk
Path Finder

Thank you this is correct, but now i don't see the json input anymore. I think the netbox server has limits, i will challenge them. Thank you so much! I appreciate your help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...