All Apps and Add-ons

How could I extract a user ID using regex?

digital_alchemy
Path Finder

I have log data that contains userID and have not been able to extract the first few characters of the string.

Sample strings:

(G477EFK@XYZ.LOCAL)
 (H587ABF@XYZ.LOCAL)
 (7P4LCDK@XYZ.LOCAL)

I only want the first four alphanumeric characters.
When I tried the interactive field extracter I can only get it to extract the full string usin it's suggested regex of:

(?i)^(?:[^/]*/){4}\d+\)\s+(?P<FIELDNAME>[^ ]+)

I've tested this one with a regex tester online and it works for what I need but cant get it to work with Splunk.

[^(XYZ.local)](?:[a-z0-9]){4}

Any suggestions?

0 Karma
1 Solution

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I wrote the interactive field extractor. It wasn't optimized to get the case where you want some alphanumeric characters that are touching other alphanumeric characters.

But the solution is simple.

Just go back into interactive field extractor, have it generate the regex:

Then click "edit" and change the last "+" to a "{4}"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I wrote the interactive field extractor. It wasn't optimized to get the case where you want some alphanumeric characters that are touching other alphanumeric characters.

But the solution is simple.

Just go back into interactive field extractor, have it generate the regex:

Then click "edit" and change the last "+" to a "{4}"

0 Karma

Rob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This might be oversimplifying things a bit, but if you only want the first 4 alpha-numeric characters after the opening parentheses, would this do the job for you?

|rex field=_raw "\((?<first_4_char>\w{4})"

If you want to put the extraction in to your props.conf file (similar to how the interactive field extractor saves this) its simply:

[StanzaName]
EXTRACT-myExtract=\((?<first_4_char>\w{4})

After adding this line to your props.conf file, you an issue the following search command to reload the extractions:

| extract reload=T

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

through rex;

... | rex "\((?<your_field>\w{4})[^@]+@\w+\.\w+\)" | the rest of your search

/k

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...