All Apps and Add-ons

How can we edit the regular expressions to extract fields from our Apache Access logs?

romangarth

We just installed Splunk this week (YAY!) and are trying to get our Apache logs digesting to start building dashboards. Our web store uses a modified Apache Access log format that looks like this in our www.conf:

%h %l %u %t %V \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" %U %q

I know that none of the extractions provided by access_combined or apache:access (Apache Addon) seem to work because they're looking for the default format, but I'm a little confused on how to help them recognize our format. I see the extractions listed, but they don't look like regular regexes that I've seen. How would I go about changing them to match our formatting?

Appreciate any help!

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

I can see the default extraction in the TA is:

EXTRACT-apache_access= ^(?<src>[^ ]+)\s+(?<site>.+)\s+(?<ident>\S+)\s+(?<user>\S+)\s+(?<dest_port>\d+)\s+\[(?<timestamp>\d+/\w+/\d+:\d+:\d+:\d+\s+[-+]\d+)[^"\n]*"(?<request>[^"]+)[^ \n]*\s+\"(?<uri_query>[^ ]*)\"\s+(?<status>\d+)(?:[^ \n]* ){2}\"(?<http_referer>[^"]+)\"\s+\"(?<http_user_agent>[^"]+)\"\s+(?<request_bytes>\d+)\s+(?<response_bytes>\d+)\s+(?<response_time_microseconds>\d+)

This matches with your pattern to a certain degree, but NOT all.
(eg src matches to %h ; Unless you put the actual log, we can't be sure which all matches)
So you might need to amend this "EXTRACT-apache_access" in your "local" directory of the app (or your own app) with the www.conf

0 Karma

AnthonyTibaldi
Path Finder

What is the sourcetype for your logs? Are any of the fields being extracted when you search on the sourcetype?

0 Karma

romangarth

The sourcetype I've tried apache:access (From the Apache Addon) and access_combined (from the default install), and neither extract data or fields properly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...