All Apps and Add-ons

How can I hide the Splunk DB Connect app from users but give access to commands, connections, lookups etc.?

AlexeyNL
Explorer

Hello.

I've got some apps that uses dbxlookup command. I dont need users of the apps to see Splunk DB Connect in the list of available apps. On the other hand i can't make DB Connect invisible because I use it for administrative purposes.
If I grant access to users of the custom apps to db_connect_user role and delete read access db_connect_user from DB Connect access list the user of the custom apps got error in the reports:

Search Factory: Unknown search command 'dbxlookup'.

Is it possible hide DbConnect from users of certain apps and stay reports working?

0 Karma

andrea_o
Explorer

Since there's no official solution, I share a sub-optimal solution I've come up with.
It applies only to lookups, and is assuming your lookup table doesn't change very often.

As an administrative user, you schedule a search in the form of
|dbxquery ##### | outputcsv lookupname.csv

Then in the filesystem of the search head, you establish a symbolic link between the spooled output file and the dir where lookups tables reside (for security reasons, outputcsv cannot write directly a lookup table, AFAIK)

After doing this, you declare a standard csv lookup pointing to the symlink, and non-privileged users can use the standard
| lookup lookupname.csv
syntax

0 Karma

andrea_o
Explorer

ME TOO.

DB connect v1 was poor, but v2 implementation is even worse.

0 Karma

lfedak_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @AlexeyNL, did you figure out a solution for this?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @AlexeyNL,

As far as I know when you remove read access of any app, artifacts (like searches, dashboards, macros & commands) will not visible to another role's user. So you can't achieve solution for your problem.

Thanks,
Harshil

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...