All Apps and Add-ons

Help with SEDCMD in Props.conf

dfurtaw
Path Finder

Hi All,

I'm banging my head against a wall attempting to figure out why a SEDCMD inside of a props.conf on a UF isn't wanting to strip out the value I tell it to. We are wanting to strip out a hashed value from a log that is inside of a bracket (example below), as well as the brackets, with the SEDCMD. I am able to successfully test this command inside of the searchhead, but when I place it inside of the props.conf on the UF, I don't see it successfully implemented. I'm sure I'm missing something pretty simple. I've tried quite a few variations of this and no luck. Could anyone help me or possibly give me a hint as to what I could be doing wrong? Thank you all.

| rex mode=sed field=_raw "s/\[ecid: .+?\]//g"

[log4j]
SEDCMD-random=s/\[ecid: .+?\]//g

Sourcetype: log4j

[2020-06-24T10:02:08.590-04:00] [Server] [NOTIFICATION] [] [] [tid: 394025] [userId: <anonymous>] [ecid: 3956b675-4930-42d5-9e7d-94ca9013d2ea-0037ac42,0:26:74:38:2010:52:52:71:38] [APP: oraclediagent2] [partition-name: DOMAIN] [tenant-name: GLOBAL] [oracle.odi.runtime.MrepExtId: 38392028449]

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this SEDCMD on your UF.

SEDCMD-ecid = s/(.*?)\[ecid: .+?\](.*)/\1\2/
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Universal Forwarders don't support SEDCMD. Put that props.conf setting on your indexers.
---
0 Karma

dfurtaw
Path Finder

Thanks for the reply Rich! 

I recall in the past (6 or so months ago), I was able to place a SEDCMD in the props on a UF and saw the stripping of data. Did this change recently? By placing it in a props on the indexers, will this allow the data to be stripped BEFORE it enters the licensing phase? We are hoping to remove this large amount of unnecessary data before it hits this stage to limit ingestion.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Are you sure it was a UF you used in the past and not a heavy forwarder (HF)? HFs support SEDCMD.
Yes, using SEDCMD on the indexers strips data before it is counted against your license.
---

dfurtaw
Path Finder

Awesome. Thanks!

Yes, it was on the UF of our Syslog relay farm. It was a SEDCMD that obfuscated some sensitive data. Host -> Syslog -> Splunk Cloud

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this SEDCMD on your UF.

SEDCMD-ecid = s/(.*?)\[ecid: .+?\](.*)/\1\2/
---

dfurtaw
Path Finder

A little late on my reply, but it worked. Thanks Rich! I guess in some cases, we can SED on the UF.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...