All Apps and Add-ons

Have I found.a bug? O365 TA reports incorrectly action

_joe
Communicator

Hello All,

I've noticed what I believe to be a bug between the splunk_ta_o365. I wanted to point it out or see if I am missing something here.

I have many events in office o365 which looks similar to this (It is confusing, but this user did NOT login):

Raw Logs:
Workload=AzureActiveDirectory
Operation=UserLoggedIn
ResultStatus=Succeeded
LogonError=UserAccountNotFound

The "Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Office 365" the following lookup: "splunk_ta_o365_cim_authentication.csv"
which compares the Workload, Operation, and ResultStatus fields - it does not consider LogonError. It OUTPUTs the following new fields:

dataset_name=authentication
action=success

The splunk_ta_o365 includes:
tag=authentication for "dataset_name=authentication"

Now the Authentication.Successful_Authentication (looks for tag=authentication action="success") data model incorrectly tells you a user has logged in when in fact, they failed because there was "UserAccountNotFound"

Using Splunk 8+, Splunk_SA_CIM 4.15.0, splunk_ta_o365 2.0.1

Labels (1)

arowsell_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This issue has been addressed in the below bug:

ADDON-49247 - O365 CIM tagging not complete

Behaviour is addressed as below:

- Check if its Auth event or not
- If its auth event then we will check for the LogonError event field
- If we there is a Logon Error then action will be failure otherwise it will be Success

This fix should be included in the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Office 365, 3.1.0 release which is targeted for End of April, 2022.
0 Karma

vanditanand
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @_joe , wanted to ask if you ever found a solution for this or were you able to find these successful or failed logins that Splunk reported in your O365 portal?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...