All Apps and Add-ons

Google import/export app not accepting the JSON token from Google API

astein_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

On Splunk Oxygen server, I have installed the Google Import/Export app. On google developmers I have created a project and enabled the API as outlined in the instructions, and downloaded the service authentication json.

A pop up saying" unable to get information about the current service key" comes up every time I attempt to run setup in the Google import/Export app from the splunk oxygen server.

When I select the downloaded JSON key from https://console.developers.google.com/project (after following the steps on (http://lukemurphey.net/projects/splunk-google-docs/wiki/How_to_setup_app) ) nothing happens - no error message, no indication the file is being uploaded or examined.

I attempted to run the app from my local splunk instance on my latop, and had the same error and behavior.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Karma
1 Solution

astein_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

...Spaces.
The original key was "Splunk dashboards-86e3193df54c.json" download from the instructions listed.
I followed all the steps, including the addition notes on how to manually configure . Nothing worked. In a fit of laziness I renamed the keyfile locally as "Splunkdashboards-86e3193df54c.json" to make my autocomplete linux command lines smooth, and everything magically works.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

astein_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

...Spaces.
The original key was "Splunk dashboards-86e3193df54c.json" download from the instructions listed.
I followed all the steps, including the addition notes on how to manually configure . Nothing worked. In a fit of laziness I renamed the keyfile locally as "Splunkdashboards-86e3193df54c.json" to make my autocomplete linux command lines smooth, and everything magically works.

Thank you.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Thanks for the follow-up. I made a bug ticket and will be fixing that issue where spaces in the key isn't allowed (http://lukemurphey.net/issues/1410). I'll fix that soon.

Sorry about the extra headache.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Could you be so kind to run the following search and let me know what it provides?

index=_internal (service_account_keys AND sourcetype=splunk_web_service) OR (sourcetype=google_spreadsheet_modular_input)
0 Karma

astein_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

and on splunk oxygen I got something different
https://s7.postimg.org/vqwwe16rv/Screen_Shot_2016_08_07_at_8_01_31_AM.png

0 Karma

astein_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ah, I see, the both have
"2016-08-05 16:49:43,597 INFO [57a52617971125fcf10] error:138 - Masking the original 404 message: 'The path '/en-US/custom/google_drive/service_account_keys/uploadServiceAccountKey' was not found.' with 'Page not found!' for security reasons"

in their history if I expand past 60 minutes.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

This is strange, I expected that the endpoint that this app uses didn't get registered but it looks like it did; the "Registering custom endpoint" event indicates that it had loaded.

Sorry, to keep asking you questions, I'm just struggling to figure out what is happening here.

Could you be so kind to go the following URL and see if there are any entries listed for /custom/google_drive/service_account_keys?

You can see the list at"/en-US/paths".

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Another option: I added instructions here that indicate how to manually setup the key by editing conf files.

0 Karma

JDukeSplunk
Builder

I had a similar issue with Google Developer sites, unrelated, but the problem was that the JDK on the Linux box did not have a cert for api.google.com, and I had to install the developers.google.com certificate into the Java 3rd-party key ring.

I guess what I am saying is, does Splunk/Python/Java on your system trust the url? If not, it might explain why it is failing on the handshake and not able to verify your API key.
-JD

0 Karma

astein_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yep I see java script errors
the first error is from just getting to the setup page
the other two are from trying to upload the JSON.
trying on local machine next !

0 Karma

astein_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Could you check if the browser is reporting Javascript errors? See https://kb.yoast.com/kb/how-to-find-javascript-errors-with-your-browsers-console/ for some instructions.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I wonder if Google changed their format of the service keys. Let me try to reproduce this.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

hmm, I generated a new key and it set up fine for me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...