All Apps and Add-ons

Google Maps not working after upgrade to 6.1.2

jodros
Builder

Google maps app worked fine on 6.0. After upgrade to 6.1.2 it now says "loading google API" and the module never fully loads. This is running on a searchhead pool server. Is there an app that needs to be moved to the network storage location? Is there something else that needs to happen to get the Google Maps module working again?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

southeringtonp
Motivator

Switching to Splunk Maps might be a good idea regardless, but it depends on your needs. Splunk Maps don't work right now if you have dashboards using Advanced XML.

If you're using HTTPS, the Google Maps issue might be as simple as mixed-content or related issues.

The Google Maps app works fine for me on 6.1.2, but only after changing the API call to Google from HTTP to HTTPS on line 29 of $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/maps/appserver/modules/GoogleMaps/GoogleMaps.js as shown:

s.src = "https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false&version=v3.6&callback=_gmapsOnLoad";

View solution in original post

southeringtonp
Motivator

Switching to Splunk Maps might be a good idea regardless, but it depends on your needs. Splunk Maps don't work right now if you have dashboards using Advanced XML.

If you're using HTTPS, the Google Maps issue might be as simple as mixed-content or related issues.

The Google Maps app works fine for me on 6.1.2, but only after changing the API call to Google from HTTP to HTTPS on line 29 of $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/maps/appserver/modules/GoogleMaps/GoogleMaps.js as shown:

s.src = "https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false&version=v3.6&callback=_gmapsOnLoad";

jodros
Builder

@southeringtonp It worked. I still plan on migrating to Splunk native maps at some point. Thanks man.

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

Pretty sure SplunkWeb would need a restart. Splunkd shouldn't need a restart for a javascript file. You might also need to flush your browser cache.

0 Karma

jodros
Builder

@southeringtonp Awesome. Yeah this app is all advanced XML. I would rather just get Google Maps working, even though I prefer the new native Splunk Maps. This is an older app that I built a while back. An app refresh is definitely needed, but it is very low priority right now.

I changed that line in the GoogleMaps.js, but it did not resolve the issue. Does it require a Splunk service restart?

0 Karma

jodros
Builder

I'll be converting this dashboard over to using Splunk maps.

0 Karma

jodros
Builder

Yeah, I read the notes about the Google Maps app. I actually prefer the Splunk native mapping module more. This is a custom app I built a while back and it was the first one I used the Google Maps module. I was checking to see if there was an easy fix, or if I would have to recode everything for Splunk native maps.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As per http://apps.splunk.com/app/368/ the app doesn't support Splunk 6. Have you considered using the built-in Splunk Maps?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...