All Apps and Add-ons

Google Maps icons not displayed after installed Apache proxy

Dev999
Communicator

Splunk 6.0.2 on Linux with the latest GoogleMap app. For testing, I configured to allow to log in on port 8000 directly to Splunk and through Apache as reverse proxy. All icons look good if using port 8000 directly. But no icons if logging in through apache, only the numbers. My root_endpoint is /splunk. Same problem with and without SSO.

It must be related to the way the urls are specified in css. Has anyone made it work? Your help is very much appreciated.

Tony

0 Karma
1 Solution

LukeMurphey
Champion

The problem is likely an issue with the way the app was written. Could you please include the path to the icon that does not load? You should be able to see it with your browsers Developers Tools. Let me know what the path is and I can help get that escalated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

TheSolomon

Definitely was not fixed for us on version 6.1.3.

Browser is attempting to access assets within the "/static/app/maps/img" folder. Offending entries are found within all of the url(...) calls within splunk/etc/apps/maps/appserver/modules/GoogleMaps/GoogleMaps.css

In our case, we couldn't change these to be absolute paths that go through the proxy since we have multiple search heads, and so that path would be different depending upon the current user.

To fix: I found inserting "../.." ahead of the first slash for all of the "url(...)" entries did the trick; the GoogleMaps app presents itself via a URL that is two folders deeper than the 'static' folder, so the browser just needs to "back-up" two levels before trying to access "/static/app/maps/img/*".

I can't be sure this will survive any updates to the GoogleMaps app... but hopefully Splunk/Google will notice this fix and include it within the official version.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Have you tried updating the maps app itself? The problem was in the GoogleMap app, not within Core Splunk.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

The problem is likely an issue with the way the app was written. Could you please include the path to the icon that does not load? You should be able to see it with your browsers Developers Tools. Let me know what the path is and I can help get that escalated.

0 Karma

Dev999
Communicator

update: the problem has been fixed in 6.1.1.

0 Karma

Dev999
Communicator

Unfortunately clicking on the number does not work with Apache. I will open an new question as this one actually is already resolved.
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/131834/google-maps-cannot-drill-down-to-details-when-using-apache-...

0 Karma

Dev999
Communicator

Thanks. Yes an Apache redirect works cleaner. Glad I do not have to rely on a bug fix.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I just sent the information to the Developer. It looks like the GoogleMaps.css is the file with the problem. If you wanted to fix this right now, you could update the paths manually in the file to include your custom root endpoint. Also, you may be able to have your Apache server go ahead and pass through those particular file paths to Splunk (even though paths are incorrect). Otherwise, you could wait for the app to get updated.

0 Karma

Dev999
Communicator

Thanks, very good point. Here is the 404 in the browser:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found):

https:///static/app/maps/img/m1.png

if in another tab of the browser I change it to https:///splunk/static/app/maps/img/m1.png then it would load.

So the root_endpoint needs to be added to the urls. Hard code it in the css file does make it work as a temporary work-around.

Appreciate your response.
Tony

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...