All Apps and Add-ons

Getting error when trying to install DB Connect.

gwcon
Path Finder

I tried looking for 8 hours and no result found.

I have an SQL database that serves no purpose other than to add data into Splunk for testing (it has an online form to get the data in).

When I try to install DB Connect, this gives an error:

"There was an error processing your request. It has been logged (ID 7122576f9fb1563d)."

When I telnet from Splunk to the SQL server I get the event below.

splunk@Splunk:~$ telnet 10.0.4.4 3306
Trying 10.0.4.4...
Connected to 10.0.4.4.
Escape character is '^]'.
[
5.7.31-0ubuntu0.18.04.19>c^hD=-PGSj2;C@mysql_native_passwordxterm-256colorbob
!#08S01Got packets out of orderConnection closed by foreign host.
splunk@Splunk:~$

So that seems to be working-ish.
When I search on the error ID I get the following (see below).

I'd love a hint, if not a solution, of where to look for a solution. Feel free to ask more details if needed.

2020-08-25 16:37:05.217 +0200  [dw-57 - POST /api/connections/status] ERROR io.dropwizard.jersey.errors.LoggingExceptionMapper - Error handling a request: 7122576f9fb1563d
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at com.splunk.dbx.connector.logger.AuditLogger.replace(AuditLogger.java:50)
	at com.splunk.dbx.connector.logger.AuditLogger.error(AuditLogger.java:44)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.service.database.impl.DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.getStatus(DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.java:159)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.service.database.impl.DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.getConnectionStatus(DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.java:116)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.resource.ConnectionResource.getConnectionStatusOfEntity(ConnectionResource.java:72)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.lambda$static$0(ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.java:52)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher$1.run(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:124)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.invoke(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:167)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider$TypeOutInvoker.doDispatch(JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider.java:219)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.dispatch(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:79)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:469)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:391)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:80)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$1.run(ServerRuntime.java:253)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:248)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:244)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:292)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:274)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:244)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.process.internal.RequestScope.runInScope(RequestScope.java:265)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime.process(ServerRuntime.java:232)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.handle(ApplicationHandler.java:680)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.serviceImpl(WebComponent.java:392)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:346)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:365)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:318)
	at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:205)
	at io.dropwizard.jetty.NonblockingServletHolder.handle(NonblockingServletHolder.java:50)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1617)
	at io.dropwizard.servlets.ThreadNameFilter.doFilter(ThreadNameFilter.java:35)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1604)
	at io.dropwizard.jersey.filter.AllowedMethodsFilter.handle(AllowedMethodsFilter.java:47)
	at io.dropwizard.jersey.filter.AllowedMethodsFilter.doFilter(AllowedMethodsFilter.java:41)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1604)
	at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.filter.ResponseHeaderFilter.doFilter(ResponseHeaderFilter.java:30)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:545)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1297)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:485)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1212)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at com.codahale.metrics.jetty9.InstrumentedHandler.handle(InstrumentedHandler.java:249)
	at io.dropwizard.jetty.RoutingHandler.handle(RoutingHandler.java:52)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.gzip.GzipHandler.handle(GzipHandler.java:717)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.RequestLogHandler.handle(RequestLogHandler.java:54)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.StatisticsHandler.handle(StatisticsHandler.java:173)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:500)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:547)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:270)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gwcon
Path Finder

Issue resolved.

[mysqld]
bind-address = 0.0.0.0
# skip-networking

in /etc/mysql/my.cnf resolved the issue
Also, give correct permissions to the SQL database user.

This page helped me.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/error-2003-hy000-can-t-connect-to-mysql-server-on-x...

Mainly the comment from SteveHoober on the bottom of the page.

Take into account that you can just install a mysql client on your splunk instance that will spit out error codes and give A LOT more information. Good luck for who has this issue, it took me two days..  Be brave.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you Provide splunk enterprise version and Splunk db connect version and java version and os and os version.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

gwcon
Path Finder

@thambisetty@isoutamo 

Splunk

Splunk DB Connect = 3.3.1 
Splunk Enterprise Version:8.0.5/Build:a1a6394cc5ae

Java
openjdk 11.0.8 2020-07-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.8+10-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.8+10-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)

Connector
mysql-connector-java-8.0.21.jar 

OS splunk
Chassis: vm
Virtualization: kvm
Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Kernel: Linux 4.15.0-112-generic
Architecture: x86-64

OS mySQL Server
Chassis: vm
Machine ID: 47a1c47f985847b088714d5ac07c0c27
Boot ID: 11d6f478de9148f6970cf4d5cef927ae
Virtualization: kvm
Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Kernel: Linux 4.15.0-96-generic
Architecture: x86-64

MySQL version
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.31, for Linux (x86_64) using EditLine wrapper

0 Karma

gwcon
Path Finder

Issue resolved.

[mysqld]
bind-address = 0.0.0.0
# skip-networking

in /etc/mysql/my.cnf resolved the issue
Also, give correct permissions to the SQL database user.

This page helped me.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/error-2003-hy000-can-t-connect-to-mysql-server-on-x...

Mainly the comment from SteveHoober on the bottom of the page.

Take into account that you can just install a mysql client on your splunk instance that will spit out error codes and give A LOT more information. Good luck for who has this issue, it took me two days..  Be brave.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Local connections are much faster 😉

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Add also jdbc driver versions.
r. Ismo
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...