All Apps and Add-ons

For the MySQL Addon: Can I use a universal forwarder instead of a heavy forwarder, if I install Python?

khevans
Path Finder

I'm looking to use the Splunk Addon for MySQL: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/MySQL/Install

But I only have a universal forwarder available. In the notes, it says "This add-on does not support universal forwarders because the add-on requires Python and Splunk recommends using the Splunk Web user interface to perform the setup and authentication with MySQL."

Can I just install Python to get this addon working?

0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @khevans,

I recommended using Heavy Forwarder only. As Splunk input will call python installed within Splunk and if you install Universal Forwarder that will not exist hence Splunk inputs will not going to trigger. Also, there are internal Splunk's python libraries will be there, your installed python will not be having that. And some other dependencies.

Hope you understand why custom installed python will not work.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

artemrys
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@khevans, we released MySQL 3.0.0 which does not require a Heavy Forwarder, because add-on does not have Python code anymore.

0 Karma

evania
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @khevans ,

Did you have a chance to check out any answers? If it worked, please resolve this post by approving it! If your problem is still not solved, keep us updated so that someone else can help you.

Thanks for posting!

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @khevans,

I recommended using Heavy Forwarder only. As Splunk input will call python installed within Splunk and if you install Universal Forwarder that will not exist hence Splunk inputs will not going to trigger. Also, there are internal Splunk's python libraries will be there, your installed python will not be having that. And some other dependencies.

Hope you understand why custom installed python will not work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...