All Apps and Add-ons

For integrating Splunk into my own web app, what's the difference between SplunkJS Stack and Splunk SDK for javascript?

neilwan
Engager

want to integrate the search and visualization functionalities into my own app, which one should I use?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@neilwan you would need to define my own app, is it within Splunk or Outside?

If it is outside you would need Splunk SDK, depending on choice of your App Development Framework and techonology used in your own app. Splunk SDKs allow you to:

1. Search your data, run saved searches, and work with search jobs.
  2. Manage Splunk configurations and objects.
  3. Integrate search results into your applications.
  4. Log directly to Splunk.
  5. Present a custom UI.

If you have external App where Splunk Scheduled Report needs to be embedded as iframe html component, you can refer to Splunk Documentation for Embedded Scheduled Report.

If you have your own App from where you need to push data to Splunk for analytics then you can consider HTTP Event Collector.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@neilwan you would need to define my own app, is it within Splunk or Outside?

If it is outside you would need Splunk SDK, depending on choice of your App Development Framework and techonology used in your own app. Splunk SDKs allow you to:

1. Search your data, run saved searches, and work with search jobs.
  2. Manage Splunk configurations and objects.
  3. Integrate search results into your applications.
  4. Log directly to Splunk.
  5. Present a custom UI.

If you have external App where Splunk Scheduled Report needs to be embedded as iframe html component, you can refer to Splunk Documentation for Embedded Scheduled Report.

If you have your own App from where you need to push data to Splunk for analytics then you can consider HTTP Event Collector.

neilwan
Engager

Thank you @niketnilay. It's outside Splunk. But from this document http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAEWR, looks like SplunkJS can also be used with outside apps?
I took a look at the UI parts of the Splunk SDK, looks like it only provides some charts while the SplunkJS seems to have all the dashboard framework in it.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Another link from the same Splunk Dev link that you have shared talks about several SplunkJS based access through Splunk SDK: http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAEW5. So that should be possible.

Let us know if you do not find some basic example of Using Splunk SDK to connect to Splunk and display result using SplunkJS stack. Also let us know which SDK are you planning to use. Is it Splunk SDK for JavaScript as per your question?

neilwan
Engager

I don't have the answer yet. I still don't know what are the major differences. May need to try both samples and see.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Refer to Splunk Web Framework Architecture Diagram: http://dev.splunk.com/view/dev-guide/SP-CAAAE29

Which should clarify. It depicts JS SDK to be part of Splunk JS Stack (I think it is the other way around though). Some SDK developer or someone from Splunk would need to confirm!

niketn
Legend

@neilwan I had submitted a question to devfeedback@splunk.com asking for validity of the Architecture Diagram i.e. Splunk JS SDK to be part of Splunk JS Stack and I was informed that it is not as they are two separate things and that the Diagram is incorrect.

I have requested a correction and also whether vice versa is true or not. Meanwhile if you are not already on Slack, you can request an access for the same and join #appdevs channel to post your query over there: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Community/latest/community/Chat#Join_us_on_Slack

neilwan
Engager

Good article, thanks. This aligns with what I have tried, Splunk JS Stack provides more than JS SDK.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@neilwan I have converted my comment to answer. Do Accept to mark this as answered and up-vote the comments that helped!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...