All Apps and Add-ons

Example of how to monitor storage speed I/O utilization by host?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Does anyone have examples of how to use Splunk to monitor storage speed I/O utilization by host?

0 Karma
1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Splunk Product Best Practices team helped produce this response. Read more about use case examples Splunk® Platform Use Cases on Splunk Docs.

This use case enables system administrators to monitor disk operations and when swapping is executed to know when systems may slow down. I/O operations are time consuming and may impact the user experience. This use case checks the number of disk operations of multiple database hosts, and visualizes it over time.

This use case is from the Splunk Essentials for Infrastructure Troubleshooting and Monitoring app. For more examples, see the Splunk Essentials for Infrastructure Troubleshooting and Monitoring on Splunkbase.

Measuring Storage Speed IO Utilization by Host

Load data

How to implement: Ingest operating system logs and metrics into Splunk Enterprise. Install the Splunk Add-on for Windows or *nix, and enable iostat monitoring for your entire infrastructure. Enable the iostat.sh scripted input in the Splunk Add-on for Windows or *nix. Find the Splunk Add-on for Windows and Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux on Splunkbase.

Data check: This use case depends on operating system logs and operating system metrics.

Get insights

Track disk I/O utilization to identify systems that are running high storage operations using the Splunk Add-on for Windows or *nix TA. Build dashboards and alerts to respond when needed and take proactive measures.

Use the following search:

index=* tag=oshost tag=performance tag=storage
| stats avg(total_ops) BY host

Best practice: In searches, replace the asterisk in index=* with the name of the index that contains the data. By default, Splunk stores data in the main index. Therefore, index=* becomes index=main. Use the OR operator to specify one or multiple indexes to search. For example, index=main OR index=security. See About managing indexes and How indexing works in Splunk docs for details.

Help

If no results appear, deploy the Add-ons to the search heads to access the knowledge objects necessary for simple searching. See About installing Splunk add-ons on Splunk Docs for assistance.

For more support, post a question to the Splunk Answers community.

View solution in original post

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Splunk Product Best Practices team helped produce this response. Read more about use case examples Splunk® Platform Use Cases on Splunk Docs.

This use case enables system administrators to monitor disk operations and when swapping is executed to know when systems may slow down. I/O operations are time consuming and may impact the user experience. This use case checks the number of disk operations of multiple database hosts, and visualizes it over time.

This use case is from the Splunk Essentials for Infrastructure Troubleshooting and Monitoring app. For more examples, see the Splunk Essentials for Infrastructure Troubleshooting and Monitoring on Splunkbase.

Measuring Storage Speed IO Utilization by Host

Load data

How to implement: Ingest operating system logs and metrics into Splunk Enterprise. Install the Splunk Add-on for Windows or *nix, and enable iostat monitoring for your entire infrastructure. Enable the iostat.sh scripted input in the Splunk Add-on for Windows or *nix. Find the Splunk Add-on for Windows and Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux on Splunkbase.

Data check: This use case depends on operating system logs and operating system metrics.

Get insights

Track disk I/O utilization to identify systems that are running high storage operations using the Splunk Add-on for Windows or *nix TA. Build dashboards and alerts to respond when needed and take proactive measures.

Use the following search:

index=* tag=oshost tag=performance tag=storage
| stats avg(total_ops) BY host

Best practice: In searches, replace the asterisk in index=* with the name of the index that contains the data. By default, Splunk stores data in the main index. Therefore, index=* becomes index=main. Use the OR operator to specify one or multiple indexes to search. For example, index=main OR index=security. See About managing indexes and How indexing works in Splunk docs for details.

Help

If no results appear, deploy the Add-ons to the search heads to access the knowledge objects necessary for simple searching. See About installing Splunk add-ons on Splunk Docs for assistance.

For more support, post a question to the Splunk Answers community.

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Update: I added a related video.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...