All Apps and Add-ons

Eventtype errors using splunk app for windows infrastructure

afolabia
Path Finder

How do I resolve splunk app for windows infrastructure event types errors in a distributed environment? They are all enabled but not producing and results.
Eventtype 'perfmon_windows' does not exist or is disabled.
Eventtype 'wineventlog_windows' does not exist or is disabled.
Eventtype 'wineventlog_security' does not exist or is disabled.

0 Karma
1 Solution

afolabia
Path Finder

Problem solved:
It seems to be more of a permission issue. I access the SH and did a recursive permission change for the Splunk_TA_windows. Check the box for "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", and restarted splunkd.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

These KOs (and other things) are defined in the Splunk_TA_windows app which should always be deployed together with the splunk_app_windows_infrastructure app.

0 Karma

afolabia
Path Finder

Problem solved:
It seems to be more of a permission issue. I access the SH and did a recursive permission change for the Splunk_TA_windows. Check the box for "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", and restarted splunkd.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi afolabia,
you have three solutions:

• add the indexes of this app to the default search path for all the interested roles;
  • create a new eventtype (e.g. wineventlog) in which you have only the filter index=wineventlog and the add this eventtype to the others;
  • add to all the eventtypes the filter index=wineventlog.

The second solution is longer but, for my idea, prefereable because has best performances.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

afolabia
Path Finder

Thanks, but should i be doing that since all I'm using is the default TA's for windows infrastructure and windows? Also, I do have the eventtype with these included.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi afolabia,
I agree with you and I don't know why in many apps there aren't eventtypes with index.
As I said, you can also put the indexes in the default search path for all the roles you have, but in my installations I always customized eventtypes.
If you want, it's another way to give value to your work!

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...