All Apps and Add-ons

Errors caused by ArrayValueSetter in IE/Firefox

rhapsody2046
Explorer

Hi,
The ArrayValueSetter of sideview is used in our dashboards. It works well at chrome but throw out errors in IE/Firefox.
The error also pops up when opening the offici*strong text*al sideview page: "Splunk_App_home/sideview_utils/array_value_setter1_intro". The sideview version is latest "Version 1.3.5".

The error is:
"MISCONFIGURED VIEW - ArrayValueSetter's array param must be a single $foo$ token, so the value must begin and end with $character. Here it is configured with $selectedSourcetypes.raeVlue$"

The error cause freezing on browser until I click away the error window 3 times.

It can be tested with the official sideview page(link above). Please investigate and see if it is a bug of sideview.
Look forwards to your reply!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The answer turned out to be essentially a syntax problem in the code for ArrayValueSetter that was only a problem if you were using IE8 and if in IE8 you had turned on Microsoft's "Compatibility Mode".

Sideview Utils 3.2.1 has been released and now the app will once again work on IE8 with "compability mode" on.

http://www.sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The answer turned out to be essentially a syntax problem in the code for ArrayValueSetter that was only a problem if you were using IE8 and if in IE8 you had turned on Microsoft's "Compatibility Mode".

Sideview Utils 3.2.1 has been released and now the app will once again work on IE8 with "compability mode" on.

http://www.sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

0 Karma

rhapsody2046
Explorer

Hi. I have cleared the cache but the error still pops up.

I have found another question with the same issue. But no final solution was posted there:
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/84605/ie8-throws-error-when-foorawvalue-is-used-in-arrayvaluesette...

Is there any other solutions or suspection you have to solve this issue?
If there is any information or testing I can provide to help, please let me know.
Thank you.

0 Karma

rhapsody2046
Explorer

Thanks for the detailed Explanation!
The SideView version indeed is not 1.3.5, but 3.1.1.
The error pop up in some colleagues' IE + Firefox, but on some other colleagues' laptop, it works fine.
Is the "ArrayValueSetter" feature has some requirements setting for browsers?

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are awesome. Yes that's why I couldn't reproduce the problem - I haven't been testing with "compatibility mode" turned on. (Compatibility mode is an awful awful thing btw. turn it off). So anyway, yes this was a real bug that prevented ArrayValueSetter from working on IE8 if microsoft's "Compatibility mode" was turned on.

Sideview Utils 3.2.1 has now been released and this issue is fixed therein. Download and install the latest version. Thanks again for your patience and for the excellent troubleshooting.

0 Karma

rhapsody2046
Explorer

I have found the reason!

If browsers run in "compatibility view", the error will pop up. By disable "compatibility view", the error can disappear.

Solution:
Disable compatibility view for the sites
"Tools" (Alt + T) -> "Compatibility View settings" -> remove sites from list.

BUT
Seems the whole company's laptops' IE is set as "compatibility view" by default. So it is still an issue to tell Everyone to execute this setting.

Can you test the above solution and maybe you know a solution to also display the valuearraysetter in the "compatibility view". It would be really helpful!

0 Karma

rhapsody2046
Explorer

Hi. I have cleared the cache but the error still pops up.

I have found another question with the same issue. But no final solution was posted there:
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/84605/ie8-throws-error-when-foorawvalue-is-used-in-arrayvaluesette...

Is there any other solutions or suspection you have to solve this issue?
If there is any information or testing I can provide to help, please let me know.
Thank you.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK now I suspect a cacheing bug in Splunk. Splunk has a mechanism whereby when you upgrade an app, and restart the server, its supposed to invalidate the cache for static files. However in the past this has regressed a couple times or bugs have lurked for long periods of time.
Go into Internet Options (or hold down Ctrl-Shift-Delete) and clear your cache explicitly on the browsers showing the problem. Then see if the problem goes away. If so I'll tell you about the bump endpoint which is how you invalidate the cache for all users.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The latest version of Sideview Utils is actually 3.2. The ArrayValueSetter was released in 2.4, which came in February of 2013. The 1.3.5 version is most definitely not the latest version - it's an extremely old version actually, from mid-2012. The confusing thing is that splunkbase says that it is the latest version, simply because it is the latest version that you can get from splunkbase. (As of Sideview Utils 2.0 Sideview switched to distributing all of its apps through it's own website http://www.sideviewapps.com instead of through Splunkbase, but we had to leave the old Sideview Utils up for legacy reasons. )

So, we can put all this together and it offers a possible answer.

If
a) you have the ArrayValueSetter module at all, whether or not its throwing an error,
and if
b) the Sideview Utils homepage says you have 1.3.5,

then what has happened is that someone installed a newer version of 2.4 or later, and then at some later date someone manually installed 1.3.5 over that. Quite probably the second person was a different person from the first and thought they were upgrading it to the latest. For quite a while Splunk's apps page would actually exhort admins to "upgrade to 1.3.5" when the local version was actually newer.

Anyway, copying an old Sideview Utils over a newer one will cause very bad things to happen. The newish ArrayValueSetter will remain but all the core Sideview libraries will now be very old. No software package can be tested to work reliable with all possible subsets of its own legacy library code.

And if this is the problem then the answer is extremely simple - either
a) upgrade to the latest Sideview Utils (3.2) http://www.sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview_utils
b) or delete the app from the filesystem entirely and then install the ancient 1.3.5 version cleanly.

Lastly, I don't mean to discount the possibility that there is a bug in ArrayValueSetter! This is possible. But since the module and its testcase pages work fine on firefox and IE for us here, and since thousands of companies have downloaded that module and used it and I've never heard of this problem, I feel confident that the root cause is the scenario described above.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...