All Apps and Add-ons

Errors after Microsoft Azure Add on for Splunk upgrade

andreeaf1301
Engager

Hello,

We upgraded Microsoft Azure Add on for Splunk to the latest version 3.2.0

After the upgrade, we started seeing the following errors:

From {/opt/splunk/bin/python3.7 /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py persistent}: "Failed to get password of realm=%s, user=%s." % (self._realm, user)
From {/opt/splunk/bin/python3.7 /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py persistent}: File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/ta_ms_aad/aob_py3/solnlib/utils.py", line 148, in wrapper
From {/opt/splunk/bin/python3.7 /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py persistent}: .
From {/opt/splunk/bin/python3.7 /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py persistent}: WARNING:root:Run function: get_password failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
From {/opt/splunk/bin/python3.7 /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py persistent}: solnlib.credentials.CredentialNotExistException: Failed to get password of realm=__REST_CREDENTIAL__#TA-MS-AAD#configs/conf-ta_ms_aad_settings, user=proxy.

I tried to add again the credentials and re-create the inputs, but still getting them.

We are getting the logs, but I'm not sure if this errors is impacting us/if we are getting all the logs or how should we correct it.

Thank you,

Andreea
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The error messages are erroneous. 

TL;DR = to work around this issue, add the following in local/ta_ms_aad_settings.conf:

[proxy]
proxy_password = None
This error is caused by a library used by add-ons built with add-on builder (a.k.a. AoB) that implement a proxy.  In a nutshell, the REST handler settings code generated by AoB (in this case TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py) defines the proxy fields.  Here is what it looks like for proxy_password:

field.RestField(
    'proxy_password',
    required=False,
    encrypted=True,
    default=None,
    validator=validator.String(
        min_len=0, 
        max_len=8192, 
    )
)

The proxy_password settings specify that the field is not required, but the field is encrypted.  Now, getting back to the library code.  The library is trying to decrypt proxy settings even if you haven't specified any.  An internal bug has been filed, but the workaround should stop the (erroneous) error messages.

View solution in original post

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The error messages are erroneous. 

TL;DR = to work around this issue, add the following in local/ta_ms_aad_settings.conf:

[proxy]
proxy_password = None
This error is caused by a library used by add-ons built with add-on builder (a.k.a. AoB) that implement a proxy.  In a nutshell, the REST handler settings code generated by AoB (in this case TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py) defines the proxy fields.  Here is what it looks like for proxy_password:

field.RestField(
    'proxy_password',
    required=False,
    encrypted=True,
    default=None,
    validator=validator.String(
        min_len=0, 
        max_len=8192, 
    )
)

The proxy_password settings specify that the field is not required, but the field is encrypted.  Now, getting back to the library code.  The library is trying to decrypt proxy settings even if you haven't specified any.  An internal bug has been filed, but the workaround should stop the (erroneous) error messages.

TLepingwell
Engager

For general interest. This bug is still present in version 1.2.5 of the app. The filenames have changed slightly, the file to which the stanza must be added is now called ta_microsoft_graph_security_add_on_for_splunk_settings.conf

Note that this file is only created by the app if you add a proxy setting, otherwise you will have to manually create it. It is different from the similarly named ta_microsoft_graph_security_add_on_for_splunk_account.conf configuration file.

jabezds
Path Finder

@jconger Thanks for the solution,

Do you think reconfiguring the proxy settings on the Addon after the upgrade will also solve this issues?

0 Karma

carlkennedy_con
Engager

This solution worked for me.

andreeaf1301
Engager

- It is classic;

- We are usually classifying the errors we have in our environment with priorities from high to noise. A report is ran and reviewed everyday and  everything that was never seen before, appears as new. When we had the upgrade of the add-on to the latest version, I started seeing these errors.

I started investigating them by using the following searches and the date when the errors started to appear matches the timestamp of the upgrade.

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd "splunk/etc/apps/TA-MS-AAD/bin/TA_MS_AAD_rh_settings.py" log_level=error component=PersistentScript

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd ""Failed to get password of realm=%s, user=%s." % (self._realm, user)" component=PersistentScript log_level=error

Right after the upgrade, the data collection was stopped.

I added again the credentials and the feeds were back to normal, but the errors are still coming. 

I'm concerned with them because I don't know if there is any impact in the data we are collecting and I wasn't able to find anything in the documentation.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

One more question - did you notice which host the errors are coming from? I ask because it's possible the add-on is on the search head for it's knowledge objects but the inputs.conf are all stripped away, which might be causing some exceptions.

In Classic, data collection add-ons are installed and managed on the Inputs Data Manager (IDM) so I assume everything on that host is working ok?

0 Karma

andreeaf1301
Engager

We have the add-on installed and configured on IDM. That's where the errors are coming from.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Curious - is this in Splunk Cloud or is this add-on installed to your own installation of Splunk?

0 Karma

andreeaf1301
Engager

In Splunk Cloud.

Is it possible to be a new feature of the add-on?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I don't know about the features of the app/add-on. I've found the developer and asked them to peek at this conversation to help.

Meanwhile, if it's Cloud you may want to add more details to help the developer understand what's going on. Is it Classic or Victoria? This page will help answer that: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/Admin/Experience 

How frequently do you see these error messages occurring? What search did you run to see them?

It's possible that the app upgrade is not related and rather this may be something that has been occurring for a while but only noticed recently. I say this because you highlighted that the data is still working and you only recently noticed these errors.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...