All Apps and Add-ons

Enhancement Request: Splunk apps should show licensing requirements on their app description pages

swasserroth
Path Finder

Hi community, hi Splunk 😉

I have difficulties to understand app-specific license requirements. Therefore I want to suggest an enhancement: Add an additional field to the app description page, describing whether the app needs an additional specific license and state the license mechanism (i.e. "x days free trial, than an additional app license based on yyyy must be purchased".

As far as I have figured out: most apps do not require more than the "normal" Splunk Enterprise license, which is based on the daily index volume. Maybe this question can serve as a starting point to gather other license requirements...

I am pretty sure about:
- Hunk: additional license based on volume
- Splunk App for Microsoft Exchange: first 60 days free (trial license), then an additional app license (based on volume??) is required
- Splunk App for VMware: first 60 days free (trial license), then an additional app license (based on volume??) is required
- what else? I don't know...

editor note: The Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure does not require an additional license above the license you get for Splunk Enterprise.

Known Splunk Apps WITHOUT additional license requirements:
- Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure (documentation has been fixed, see editor notice)

I am especially interested about these apps, these seem to not require additional licenses, but I am not sure about it:
- Splunk App for NetApp Data ONTAP

Thanks and regards,
Stephan

0 Karma

swasserroth
Path Finder

While reading the detailed manual of Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure: Requires a license (description is extremly well hidden in "How to deploy" with a further reference to a non-existant document)! 60 days free use...

0 Karma

malmoore
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @swasserroth,

The Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure does not require an additional license. The reference you saw was in error and has been removed. Apologies for the confusion.

0 Karma

malmoore
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is also the documentation to view.

The Splunk App for Microsoft Exchange states in the system requirements that an additional license must be purchased.
Neither the Splunk Apps for Windows Infrastructure nor NetApp Data ONTAP require an additional license.

joshd
Builder

I do agree it could be a bit cleared but the Splunk supported apps (those built by Splunk) will typically say right in the description if they are free or not.... For the VMWare one, its in capitalized text in the third paragraph of the app description. Other than that it will simply tell you to contact sales before you can download it (eg. Enterprise Security).

swasserroth
Path Finder

Part of the problem: did look into VMware docs, but didn't look at the description 😞
Another part: when downloading Apps through the Splunk web interface, VMware app is shown as "install free", correct, but misleading. ES is shown as "download app", which implies additional licenses, I assume.

I am updating the basic question...

0 Karma

joshd
Builder

I hear ya and definitely agree it could be much cleaner. As far as I know, the other two apps are free of charge -- for the time being Im sure haha.

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @swasserroth

I've never done this myself, but I've seen other users suggest putting in formal enhancement requests through:

http://www.splunk.com/index.php/submit_issue

and enter it just like a support ticket, but choose an "enhancement" option.

0 Karma

swasserroth
Path Finder

Thanks for pointing me there, I just filed an enhancement request.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...