All Apps and Add-ons

Empty Showcase and missing icons in Chrome

_smp_
Builder

I installed MLK 3.1.0 yesterday on an ES 7.0.2 SH cluster. The first time I visited the Showcase it displayed OK. But after that initial visit, the Showcase does not appear again. I am using Chrome 65.0.3325.181, and I did clear the browser cache as recommended by a similar post. I've also noticed that the Print and Search icons do not display correctly. See the image below. I only seem to have this problem in Chrome - IE11 seems to be able to navigate back to the Showcase and the icons appear normally. Is anyone else having these problems?

0 Karma
1 Solution

p_gurav
Champion

Hi,

Can you follow this steps:

The MLTK Showcase page can break if another app writes to the 'mlts-role' localStorage

Workaround:
Open up your browser's respective dev console:
In Chrome: Right hand menu->More Tools->Developer Tools

In Firefox: Right hand menu->Web Developer-Web Console

Paste the following into the console and press Enter: {{localStorage.removeItem('mlts-role')}}

Reload the page

View solution in original post

_smp_
Builder

With the gracious help from a Splunk developer of the Security Essentials app, I also discovered the root cause of the missing icon problem. The SHs in our cluster are load-balanced by an F5 load-balancer which also offloads HTTPS. The VIP that processes this traffic was not configured to automatically rewrite HTTP 302 responses to HTTPS. I applied a custom HTTP profile to the VIP to automatically rewrite HTTP 302 redirects to HTTPS and the problem with the missing icons is also fixed.

Hope others find this useful 🙂

p_gurav
Champion

Hi,

Can you follow this steps:

The MLTK Showcase page can break if another app writes to the 'mlts-role' localStorage

Workaround:
Open up your browser's respective dev console:
In Chrome: Right hand menu->More Tools->Developer Tools

In Firefox: Right hand menu->Web Developer-Web Console

Paste the following into the console and press Enter: {{localStorage.removeItem('mlts-role')}}

Reload the page

TheFrunkster
Explorer

We just ran into this situation. Incredibly obscure circumstances for your typical user. This one had us chasing our tails for a while, until we ran into this answer. The fix mentioned above resolved the issue. I guess we will need to upgrade our version of MLTK.

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

Yes, that seems to have fixed the Showcase issue. Thanks very much! Can you please help me understand a bit more about what this did? Is this problem in the doc somewhere that I missed?

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion
0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

Ah, OK my bad that I missed it - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Are customers supposed to understand what that means or is that just developer-speak? I don't find any evidence of a 'mlts-role' in the config files and it's not clear to me what the term 'localStorage' refers to.

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@scottpigge - I'm a developer on the MLTK - I'm sorry you're running into this. Local storage is a HTML5 feature you can read more about here: https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_webstorage.asp - the TLDR is that they're kind of like a small cache that developers can use to storage small amounts of information.

In this case, we're storing a small string in that local storage. This bug was caused by a different app writing to the same location - causing our poor error handling to fail to render the page. Thankfully, the bug has been fixed in the upcoming version of the MLTK.

For the font issue, we will look into and hopefully fix it soon.

_smp_
Builder

Thank you for that very helpful response! I assume it was another Splunk app that wrote to the same location?? Is there any way to determine which one, or is this just transient information that is gone now? Is it even worth asking the question, or should i just move on from it?

As far as the font issues go, I did open a support case so you might see that come across your desk sometime soon.

Thanks again for the great response!

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Exactly - its most like "Splunk Security Essentials" (which has fixed this in their upcoming versions) or some other related app that has a MLTK-like "contents" or "showcase" page (the landing page of the MLTK). If you have another app installed that has a view like that, its likely the culprit.

You can determine the one by opening the app, and going through the same motion, but use getItem rather than removeItem. If you find that the setting was set, then later, after visiting an app, it gets unset (or set to undefined) - then you have found the culprit.

Most likely it is just worth ignoring, although whichever app is causing it is capable of causing the issue over and over again 😞

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

Also, I looked at the icon in Developer tools and it seems the icon was blocked from being loaded:

The page at 'https:///en-US/app/Splunk_ML_Toolkit/contents' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure font 'http:///en-US/static/fonts/splunkicons-regular-webfont.woff'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...