All Apps and Add-ons

Does the JDK vendor matter for Kafta modular input?

jnicholsenernoc
Path Finder

What is the tested JDK vendor for this input, Oracle JDK or does OpenJDK work?

When I first tried using the input, I was using the OpenJDK, but got some library errors:
ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/kafka_ta/bin/kafka.py" SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/kafka_ta/bin/kafka.py" SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/kafka_ta/bin/kafka.py" SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".

When I tried to install the Oracle JDK, I started to get this error:

08-27-2015 20:31:26.244 +0000 ERROR ModularInputs - Unable to initialize modular input "kafka" defined inside the app "kafka_ta": Introspecting scheme=kafka: script running failed (exited with code 1).

Which should I be trying to make work?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Those library errors are irrelevant , ignore them, just information messages from an underlying library.

Maybe you haven't put java on the path with your new JRE install.

Follow the troubleshooting steps in the docs : https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1817/#/documentation

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Those library errors are irrelevant , ignore them, just information messages from an underlying library.

Maybe you haven't put java on the path with your new JRE install.

Follow the troubleshooting steps in the docs : https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1817/#/documentation

0 Karma

jatin_patel
Path Finder

Hi Damien,

Optionally set your JAVA_HOME environment variable to the root directory of your JRE installation.If you don't set this , the input will look for a default installed java executable on the path.

where is the default path "the input will look for a default installed java executable on the path"?

-Jatin

0 Karma

jnicholsenernoc
Path Finder

So should we be using the OpenJDK or the Oracle one?

Currently using the openJDK.

Been following the troubleshooting steps:
1) JAVA_HOME is set and java is in the path (for openJDK)
2) Splunk 6.2.3
3) Java OpenJDK, 1.7.0_85
4) Kafka version 0.8.1.1.
5) on linux
6) the only errors in splunkd.log are the SLF4J errors
7) Running the command line invocation for the scheme doesn't show any errors, just prints out what the arguments are and their descriptions.

I can see the Java process running on the system, not sure how to tell if its doing anything.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Use either , it does not matter.

0 Karma

vcarbona
Path Finder

When I tried to install the Oracle JDK, I started to get this error:
08-27-2015 20:31:26.244 +0000 ERROR ModularInputs - Unable to initialize modular input "kafka" defined inside the app "kafka_ta": Introspecting scheme=kafka: script running failed (exited with code 1).

I was able to fix this by adding JAVA_HOME= in my /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf and restarting Splunk. In my case, I used the JRE.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...