All Apps and Add-ons

Does decrypt work in distributed search environments?

ltawfall
Path Finder

I can get this app to work fine, if I'm running in locally on an indexer. But not from a distributed search head.

index=_internal | decrypt field=sourcetype hex() emit('sourcetype')

Corresponding Errors:

[xxxxx] Streamed search execute failed because: Error in 'decrypt' command: Cannot find program 'decrypt' or script 'decrypt'.
[xxxxx] Streamed search execute failed because: Error in 'decrypt' command: Cannot find program 'decrypt' or script 'decrypt'.

Works when I go to each indexer and run the command but not from the search head.

I basically looking for any app/script that will do base64 decoding from a distributed set up. Thus far I can seem to find one.

Thanks,
Lisa

0 Karma
1 Solution

bmacias84
Champion

This app is missing a setting within the commands.conf. Add the following settings to decrypt/default/commands.conf local = true. If local=true, specifies that the command should be run on the search head only. The default is false. This should fix the issue.

Example commands.conf:

[decrypt]
filename = decrypt.py
streaming = true
# setting missing from
local = true

View solution in original post

bmacias84
Champion

This app is missing a setting within the commands.conf. Add the following settings to decrypt/default/commands.conf local = true. If local=true, specifies that the command should be run on the search head only. The default is false. This should fix the issue.

Example commands.conf:

[decrypt]
filename = decrypt.py
streaming = true
# setting missing from
local = true

ltawfall
Path Finder

Yep, that totally did it. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...