All Apps and Add-ons

Does Splunk Add-on for Zeek aka Bro work with the latest versions like 3.2.2????

Glasses
Builder

I know the documentation for Zeek add-on says there is support for specific versions 

Zeek aka Bro versions 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5

But has anyone used it with Zeek version 3.+??? 

OR does anyone have a suggestion to onboard Zeek 3+ ???  

Is sending as json format the best option?

TY!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kjstogn
Explorer

Currently using it with Zeek version 3.0.8 on Security Onion 16.04.7.1

No issues with with JSON format. The add-on itself is rather lacking in the sourcetypes and covers just the main ones like conn, dns, ssl... definitely add the ones you would like to parse a little more.

I personally like the JSON format more than TSV but it does support that fine as well with its sourcetype autotyping/dynamic extraction. 

I would beware of the TIME_FORMAT in props.conf as Zeek by default uses epoch but Security Onion has been configured to use ISO8601

If using ISO8601 substitute TIME_FORMAT = %s.%6N for TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%6%z

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kjstogn
Explorer

Currently using it with Zeek version 3.0.8 on Security Onion 16.04.7.1

No issues with with JSON format. The add-on itself is rather lacking in the sourcetypes and covers just the main ones like conn, dns, ssl... definitely add the ones you would like to parse a little more.

I personally like the JSON format more than TSV but it does support that fine as well with its sourcetype autotyping/dynamic extraction. 

I would beware of the TIME_FORMAT in props.conf as Zeek by default uses epoch but Security Onion has been configured to use ISO8601

If using ISO8601 substitute TIME_FORMAT = %s.%6N for TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%6%z

0 Karma

Glasses
Builder

Thanks for the reply.

We could not get the add-on to work with our 3.x version of Zeek for some reason.  Maybe we will try again.  Json format is working fine for us as well. 

We did see a strange Splunk Time Stamp issue for specific Zeek sourcetypes where Splunk shuffled some of the current events (with recent epoch time) back in time, giving the events a time stamp of years earlier.  We fixed it with a couple of sedcmd entries in  props.conf,  seems to be ok now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...