All Apps and Add-ons

Does Splunk Add-on for Cisco ASA change the sourcetype for those logs then on and can it change the sourcetype for logs already indexed?

lancasterad
Engager

When you install the Splunk add-on for Cisco ASA does it change the sourcetype for those logs going forward? Also, can it change the sourcetype for logs already indexed?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jlanders
Path Finder

If I remember correctly, the props.conf file included with this app uses the "rename=" function. This is a search-time rename so if you have a sourcetype named "foo" and you created this stanza:

[foo]
rename = bar

From now on, you could search "sourcetype=bar" for ALL data indexed of the original sourcetype "foo" because it is a search-time transformation. The original sourcetype should be available in _sourcetype.

You can reference this doc: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/Admin/Propsconf

View solution in original post

jlanders
Path Finder

If I remember correctly, the props.conf file included with this app uses the "rename=" function. This is a search-time rename so if you have a sourcetype named "foo" and you created this stanza:

[foo]
rename = bar

From now on, you could search "sourcetype=bar" for ALL data indexed of the original sourcetype "foo" because it is a search-time transformation. The original sourcetype should be available in _sourcetype.

You can reference this doc: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/Admin/Propsconf

JimDeich
Path Finder

I don't find that rename clause in the app.

$ pwd
/home/jimd/splunkTAasa/Splunk_TA_cisco-asa/default
$ grep -i rename props.conf
$

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...