All Apps and Add-ons

Db connect rising column checkpoint value issue

hethu
Path Finder

Hi, got a problem with db connect and rising column checkpoint value.
The only rising column available to me is a datetime column with millisecond precision.

I tried first just using this as it is, but i did not work over time as db connect stopped indexing with an error saying that it failed to convert nvarchar to datetime2. After a bit of researching the forums here, I found out that Db connect uses simple date format that has issues with milliseconds.

The possible issue with simple date format made me decide to create a new column based on the LastUpdate datetime column, converting all datetimes to epoch time(bigInt). This works the first time Splunk ingests the data, but the next rising column checkpoint value is set to 20210105075923 = Friday 8. June 2610 06:04:35.923 after first ingestion

The highest value in the database table is 1609832657526 = Tuesday 5. January 2021 07:44:17.526

Anyone have any idea why this happens, and how to fix it?

Edit: I can see that the checkpoint value that splunk puts in corresponds to the date, or atleast it seems so. But it is not a epoch time, can it be that it still thinks I am using datetime from previous setting?

Edit2: Creating a new input using the same checkpoint field seems to have solved my issue.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hethu
Path Finder

Solution: Create new input using same checkpoint field as before. 

View solution in original post

hethu
Path Finder

Solution: Create new input using same checkpoint field as before. 

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved then please answer your question with the solution and accept that answer.  This may help future readers with a similar problem.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...